A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 12:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to Retrofit MMI Navigation to MMI Enabled Audi

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Retrofit MMI Navigation to MMI Enabled Audi

Hello folks,
I have been a long time VW Owner. I recently bought my first Audi, a 2008 A6 3.2L Quattro.

I am still getting a hang of the options it came with I got it from a Private party who had no Idea.

I know the car has the NAV button and when I hit it it says, 'No Navigation installed'

I would like to have Navigation Installed. The Dealership in my area seems to be quite curt with the Answers. Just kept saying it will cost me $2500.

I looked at some of the other posts. Could not find anything related to this. I apologize in advance if this is a repeat post.

I have two questions :

1) Can I retrofit the car to have the Factory Navigation. Any wiring information will be helpful as well.
2) Is there anywhere I can get the OEM Navigation other than the dealership

I would appreciate any help in the matter.

Thanks,
Vivek
Old 02-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an '09 which I'm almost certain is the same as the '08, and I've been researching this.

It seems to be not that tough, and this ebay seller sells all the stuff for $1500. I talked to him, seems like an install would take 2-3 hours.

I have not yet pulled the trigger though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
Old 02-21-2010, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

The OEM nav unit is a plug in play. The rack for the unit is located in the trunk behind a removable door on the right hand side. In 2008 the wiring to the the attena and the screen were installed at the factory regardless of whether the car was destined to have a factory installed unit.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I saw a used nav unit on eBay the other day and it was what I thought was a good price. It looks like it was taken out of a wrecked car as they had a lot of random parts.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

the nav unit is not plug and play...you have to install the nav antenna and splice into the fiber optic network lines...it is not extreemly hard but if you are going to do it youself buy the factory install kit and try to find a used nav disc unit...after install you will have to take it to the dealer to disable component protection and then have it all adapted and coded properly
Old 02-21-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JoshS
I have an '09 which I'm almost certain is the same as the '08, and I've been researching this.

It seems to be not that tough, and this ebay seller sells all the stuff for $1500. I talked to him, seems like an install would take 2-3 hours.

I have not yet pulled the trigger though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
Thank you very much for the Info. I looked up the eBay user and he had another of the same item listed that was sold as well. I have contact him to see if he has another kit available. The $1500 price does seem a little steep.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rs4tech
the nav unit is not plug and play...you have to install the nav antenna and splice into the fiber optic network lines...it is not extreemly hard but if you are going to do it yourself buy the factory install kit and try to find a used nav disc unit...after install you will have to take it to the dealer to disable component protection and then have it all adapted and coded properly
Does this depend on the trim line. I mean, whether to unit is plug and Play or the install has to be done from scratch.

On the 08's I have seen trim levels where there is an MMI screen but there is no NAV button around cluster near the Gear Shifter.

On mine, I do have that button. Does that mean that it came pre-wired like Kevin said in the post below and all I have to do buy the plug and play portion of the Nav.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

even if it has the nav button, it does not have the nav antenna, or the wiring in the back, either way you will need the retrofit kit. if you dont have the nav button you need to get a new mmi control set
Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rs4tech
even if it has the nav button, it does not have the nav antenna, or the wiring in the back, either way you will need the retrofit kit. if you dont have the nav button you need to get a new mmi control set
Will the Link provided do : Ebay Item

Just want to make sure I buy the correct item.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

it seems ok, i would like to see more pics of the wiring harness to see if this is the right setup, he says something about running a cable to the sharksfin...but that isnt where the nav antenna is...so if i were you i would get more info/pics

Quick Reply: How to Retrofit MMI Navigation to MMI Enabled Audi