A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

I cant believe this engine still ran! Advice on cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So I added the hydraulic fluid and the noises went away. But I got a new problem.
the thing that prompted all this work was a cylinder 4 misfire and low compression..
well after reassembling everything compression is back to where it should be but now as soon as the engine ran for more than a few minutes cylinder 1 misfires.
now it wont even start without me pressing the throttle slightly.
My guess is the fuel injector that originally was on cylinder 4 was bad and even after cleaning and new seals it is still bad but got put back on cylinder 1. I'm going to swap the plugs and coils to be sure but just wondering if it could be anything else.
also I noticed this engine is always hot... while the thermostat gauge never goes above the midway mark, it seems to stay at the midway mark and never go below that once it reaches it. Maybe there is a thermostat issue also.

anyways this is some progress at least the compression issue was not the head gaskets. I will buy a new injector tuesday and see if that solves my problem.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Very strange this car...
I let it run for about 30 minutes and now it is running smooth but still getting a random misfire on cylinder 1 but nothing like it was. I havent done a road test yet except around my property and cant go past 30 mph without going on the street. A couple new issues came up one is that my driver side headlight has an orange tint and the other blue maybe the bulbs going bad because they both use to be blue. Also the brake lights arent working except for the top one.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

A few more notes.
some reason the brake lights and turn signals is an intermittent issue. They work fine now.
the misfire is the wierd thing. I took it out on a road test. Jumped on the eway and it was smooth running all the way to 130mph. I didnt want to go any faster but it felt like it could.
however that is only if I do not stomp the gas. Once I stomp it, it misfires at about 5k rpm and continues misfiring and cel flashing until I turn it off and back on. Once I restart the car it runs fine again. Does this sound like an injector issue? It seems like the longer I drive since I did the cleaning the better it is running however this is my toy car and I want to be able to floor it again.

could the esp be causing any of this? My g419 sensor is broken. I have a new one but haven't installed it because it's a pain in the *** to remove the center console and vents to get to it.
the gas mileage is unbelievable better than what it was. I never use to get more than 18 mpg now I am getting almost 30 on the eway. The intake clean and injector seals have made a huge difference but sadly it still isnt perfect.
thanks for replies!