A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

I just replaced the Transmission...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just replaced the Transmission...now what?

I just replaced the transmission in my 2006 A6. The TCM needs to be coded to the new transmission and I’m finding it difficult to locate specific instructions on how to code.

The car currently won’t move as it in safe mode(I’m assuming).

It it does start up and I have the proper fluid in it.

If anyone has any info or links to instructions it will great be appricated.

And I will absolutely update this post with my findings as I have found very little information since the beginning of this project.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

You have to the component protection removed. It has to be done either by a dealer or a shop with the right access and software. I was luck enough that we have a really good Indy shop here that could do the work. It will have to be towed on a flatbed.

I did the swap last year.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sswari
You have to the component protection removed. It has to be done either by a dealer or a shop with the right access and software. I was luck enough that we have a really good Indy shop here that could do the work. It will have to be towed on a flatbed.

I did the swap last year.
I have downloaded VCDS-lite and have a VAG+CAN cord arriving tomarrow. I was hoping I could try it my self.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chuckdeez

I have downloaded VCDS-lite and have a VAG+CAN cord arriving tomarrow. I was hoping I could try it my self.
Although I love my VCDS full version, it will not remove componet protection. As I said, Either a dealer, or a really go indy shop that has the right software. Get on the phone and start calling. I researched this for days when I did my trans swap.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Although I love my VCDS full version, it will not remove componet protection. As I said, Either a dealer, or a really go indy shop that has the right software. Get on the phone and start calling. I researched this for days when I did my trans swap.
I don’t know what component protection is. Any links to how to research this?

thank you responding to my messages btw.

Even if it’s not the response I was hoping for ☺️
Old 09-19-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

ODIS enables/disables VW/Audi component protection | OBDII365.com Official Blog
talks about ODIS
Old 09-20-2018, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This was super helpful and informative, thank you.

Something a co-worker mentioned was removing the "part from the old transmission" that locks it to the TCM???

The last transmission we replaced had damaged torque converter taps causing the fluid pump not to run.....so essentially the previous transmission electronics were good.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, you should be able to do that.The tcm is attached to the mechtronic unit. You will need to pull to the Mechtronic unit. About 12 to 15 bolts. And it is heavy, about 20 pounds if I remember correctly. The clips that hold the TCM to the Mcehtronic and wires will be brittle, so be very careful when separating them. Also, you will be draining 6 quarts of oil out of the transmission, so you will need to either capture it if brand new, or order new Lifeguard 6 or 8 depending on the software revision of the TCM you will be using. I do not know that it is truly important to get the right fluid, but EVERYTHING I read while doing my pointed to the fact that is is.

You can get the SW version from VCDS, once you get the new TCM back in the car.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, you should be able to do that.The tcm is attached to the mechtronic unit. You will need to pull to the Mechtronic unit. About 12 to 15 bolts. And it is heavy, about 20 pounds if I remember correctly. The clips that hold the TCM to the Mcehtronic and wires will be brittle, so be very careful when separating them. Also, you will be draining 6 quarts of oil out of the transmission, so you will need to either capture it if brand new, or order new Lifeguard 6 or 8 depending on the software revision of the TCM you will be using. I do not know that it is truly important to get the right fluid, but EVERYTHING I read while doing my pointed to the fact that is is.

You can get the SW version from VCDS, once you get the new TCM back in the car.

i think i got it. When you say mechtronic unit you mean valve body right (that’s what we call it at Nissan &#128523.

Im gonna try and find a couple videos of this being done. If you have any links for info that would be amazing.

I don’t know what “SW version” is though?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i think i got it. When you say mechtronic unit you mean valve body right (that’s what we call it at Nissan &#128523.

Im gonna try and find a couple videos of this being done. If you have any links for info that would be amazing.

I don’t know what “SW version” is though?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, the valve body. I believe they call it Mechtronic, because it is more electronic than the older valve bodyies.

I do not have any links right off hand, but there are some out there. It is recommended that you be sure you can get the fill plug out of the pan,before you drain it and take the pan off. Mine was really tight. It should be a 17MM hex. Drain the pan, On my car, 06 A6 4.2 BNK with an 6hp19 Trans, I have to take off the front cross member (4 bolts) off, Then the pan is fairly easy to get out, there are 3 or 4 bolts kind of hidden but accessible by the rear transmission mount. from there it is fairly directly. The filter just pulls out, and the valve body and TCM are right there. Fairly straight forward from there.

Quick Reply: I just replaced the Transmission...now what?