AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Ignition Lock Defective (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/ignition-lock-defective-2851714/)

S_car_addict 08-04-2013 09:48 AM

Ignition Lock Defective

I just picked up an immaculate 2008 S6 yesterday from a used car dealer. only paid $27k with 64k miles. The only problem is as soon as I go to drive it away a red key symbol pops up on the information screen and says "Ignition Lock Defective". This happens every time I turn the key onto the accessory mode, and it stays on the entire time I'm driving. If I Ignore it too long the car gets angry and shuts off the LED running lights and makes a bigger flashing red key just in case I wasn't aware of the issue.

Anybody ever dealt with this?

S_car_addict 08-04-2013 09:58 AM

I forgot to add that this problem also disables the push button start

milan_o 08-04-2013 10:13 AM

Does it happen with both keys? Or just one? How is the battery in the key?

S_car_addict 08-04-2013 10:19 AM

It only came with one key. How would I know how good the battery is? is there a way to test this?

S_car_addict 08-04-2013 11:10 AM

alright well I figured one part out. Push button start only work if I dont plug the key into the ignition (makes perfect sense). But even when I keep the key in my pocket and start the car with push button I get the same red key "Ignition Lock Defective" error

milan_o 08-04-2013 11:49 AM

You should start with a new battery. Simple enough to do, and if issue persists a new battery eliminates a variable. Try that and post back with results.

S_car_addict 08-04-2013 02:20 PM

I replaced the battery and the problem is still going on. I actually found the error in the manual and it says this may cause the car to either stop turning on, or not turn off. Looks like day 2 of owning this car will be spent at the shop. My return to driving an Audi is just like I remembered, but I do not regret my purchase at all.

Procomm 04-09-2019 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by S_car_addict (Post 24472577)
I just picked up an immaculate 2008 S6 yesterday from a used car dealer. only paid $27k with 64k miles. The only problem is as soon as I go to drive it away a red key symbol pops up on the information screen and says "Ignition Lock Defective". This happens every time I turn the key onto the accessory mode, and it stays on the entire time I'm driving. If I Ignore it too long the car gets angry and shuts off the LED running lights and makes a bigger flashing red key just in case I wasn't aware of the issue.

Anybody ever dealt with this?

Hello, I have just had this warning occur having got home after Audi had done mot and interim service, have you managed to fix yours and if so what was it? Unfortunately my car is going in for some insurance repairs tomorrow so can’t take it back to Audi till I get it back but it is still drivable. I have informed them but all there technicians had finished for the day, I have seen plenty of YouTube fixes for the yellow warning but nothing about this red warning