A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

I'm getting the RATTLE on cold starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm getting the RATTLE on cold starts

Now, at 185k miles, I am just getting a 1 second classic cam tensioner "rattle" on cold starts, after the car sits for over 8hrs.
I've heard it on three consecutive mornings, now.
Of course it's been 10-15F each of those mornings, here, also. But, I do not expect it to stop when the weather warms.
Fortunately, I already have collected all the tools for the upper tensioner change out. Unfortunately, I do not have a garage to work in.
So, I hope that things last until spring, when I can do the change-out outside.
While, I haven't run a scan yet, lately, I have been running a 6.5-7.1 degree variance on my drivers side tensioner, & only about half that on the passenger side.
I'm off tomorrow. So, we'll see what it's reading then.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Prestige Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're lucky you made it that long without the rattle! My car started doing that at around 70K miles. I have done absolutely nothing about it, and she just turned over 128K miles and at most I have 1.5 seconds of chain rattle on a cold start (<32*F), after sitting. Sometimes she will sit for 2 days and it won't rattle at all.

Please let usknow what VCDS blocks to check for the timing variance, I believed I checked mine last year and they were quite out of spec, but alas I forgot to keep an eye on it, and she's still running strong.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Mike, check block 93 in measuring blocks or advanced measuring blocks on engine. You'll have 4 values there corresponding to intake and exhaust on bank 1 (passenger side) and bank 2 (driver's side). It is said that 8 degrees is rhe service limit and when I took on my bank 2 tensioner change I had 7.9 deg, so thought it was about time to fix it.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Prestige Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry, have you had a chance to check your Block 93 readings? I just got around to checking mine..

Operating Temp @Idle

Operating Temp @~3,800RPM in Park

I know the service limit is 8 degrees. I can't seem to find a straight answer on if we should be adding the intake & exhaust values for each respective bank together to calculate the variance and that has to be under 8 degrees, or if each individual reading has to be under 8 degrees on it's own.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I also saw the discussion in the long thread about whether these block 93s should be added together or treated individually. There was only one guy who stated they should be added together and he never offered any back up to that, nor is it logical to do so. I don't buy it. The limit is 8 degrees on any adjuster on either bank, as the reading measures the amount of crank angle by which that camshaft is varying from TDC. in other words when warmed up your intake on bank 2 is 7.5/360 of a full revolution away from where it should be!

It's a pretty clear indication your bank 2 tensioner change is overdue. I had a similar figure (7.9) on bank 2 intake before replacing my bank 2 tensioner and got that down to 0 after the change. Car runs so much more smoothly at cruising speed when the engine is fully in time.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Check Block 091 and it will show the total angle for each bank (Bank 1 and Bank 2). I discovered this block once by incorrectly inputting the the block number one time. And I believe you add the exhaust and intake angle to obtain the the total angle.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually haven't taken a set of readings on my car recently, but will.
A more interesting development is that the start up rattle has become very I frequent & shorter!
It'll occur in about 1 in 10 cold starts & lasts only a part of a second when it does!
I'm thinking that the warmer temps we've been getting don't allow the metals to "shrink" enough for the oil sealing problem to occur.
IDK, but I'm continue to closely monitor...