A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Inside of the front tires are getting eaten out:

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Inside of the front tires are getting eaten out:

The inside of my tires are getting eaten out and torn. First I thought it was something that happened before for some reason, so I rotated the wheels, but 3 thousand miles later I see that the tires infront that had no wear are getting ripped up on the inside. I brought it up to the attention of my service advisor and he said it was normal for Audi. That didn't sound right. Anyone seen this?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd I am having the same problem with the outside of my front tires...and front tires only!! I was thinking alignment?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pic?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
The inside of my tires are getting eaten out and torn. First I thought it was something that happened before for some reason, so I rotated the wheels, but 3 thousand miles later I see that the tires infront that had no wear are getting ripped up on the inside. I brought it up to the attention of my service advisor and he said it was normal for Audi. That didn't sound right. Anyone seen this?
Happens when you're car is lowered, and the camber of the wheels change.

I didn't have this happen on the stock suspension, but was surprised to see the wear on the inside when I put in the s-line. But the wear on the inside was even and not torn.

I'm quite sure that the shredding on the inside is not normal. Pics?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i was thinking that the spacers may affect alignment... but my bro had 15mm spacers on his B7A4 and no issues there. i've had my alignment adjusted for the aggressive suspension and have no issues with tire wear from what i can tell. not normal in my book -- go to a different dealer, get a 2nd opinion.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Former Vendor

It'll happen as the control arm bushings start to wear, and the suspension 'sags'. The bushings can't locate the suspension back to its original location, and the geometry essentially begins drifting, causing vague steering, and premature wear.

New control arm bushings will fix the problem.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Should they start to wear this soon on the '07 S6?

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS
It'll happen as the control arm bushings start to wear, and the suspension 'sags'. The bushings can't locate the suspension back to its original location, and the geometry essentially begins drifting, causing vague steering, and premature wear.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Service advisor told me to get allignment done... said that the toe might be off. Allignment is not covered after the 12 months from purchase, so I will have to pay around $200 for it.

The issue is not in spacers. I had this problem way before I put the spacers on.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Advisor said it could happen but very unlikely at 20K miles. They said that they were going to check that prior to allignment. I will keep you guys updated, but won't know if the issue is fixed until I get new tires since all 4 of my tires look as if a rat has been nibbling on them.

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS

Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

This type of uneven tire wear is only common with custom lowered cars without having gone through a proper wheel alignment. The camber angle is out of specs. When you look at the front tires from the front of the car, the left and right side tires will look like /--\ instead of |--|. As a result, tire wear will become uneven, with the inside shoulders wearing out prematurely.

However, if a factory OEM car also exhibits this uneven tire wear in just 3K miles, there is something seriously wrong with the suspension of this car. This is NOT normal for ANY OEM cars.

Quick Reply: Inside of the front tires are getting eaten out: