A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Intake Manifold bank1 flap stuck open/closed

Old 05-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold bank1 flap stuck open/closed

I have had Solid CEL on and off for majority of last 2 months. VCS shows
Intake Manifold Tuning Valve (Bank 1): Stuck Open/Closed (It throws Open sometimes and Closed message sometimes).

Initially I thought there was a vacuum leak but I replaced all vacuum hoses and the CEL keeps coming back and keeps getting cleared up every 50-60 miles.

I read it somewhere that the drive unit might be failing too so I removed the drive unit (Part number 06E133619, see pic below as well) and tried to move the shaft with my fingers. It moves but it takes a lot of pressure to move it for a few millimeters.

My question is...is the bar that moves the white gear hard to move by casual finger push or the spring is gone bad causing the flaps to stuck ?
How easily it should move to and fro ?

The part is around 400 dollars...its gonna suck.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

I have also a failed actuator on the right (Bank 1) lower intake manifold. In my case, the actuator will not hold a vacuum, so that is why the DTC keeps coming up on my 2006 A6 Avant. You can't purchase the actuator by itself; Audi only sells the complete lower intake manifold. So, I have purchased a new lower intake, which has an updated P/N., for $286 + shipping from genuineaudiparts.com. When I push on rod on the new part, I can easily move it completely to stop and open the flaps. Based on your description, I would say that your actuator froze.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
I have also a failed actuator on the right (Bank 1) lower intake manifold. In my case, the actuator will not hold a vacuum, so that is why the DTC keeps coming up on my 2006 A6 Avant. You can't purchase the actuator by itself; Audi only sells the complete lower intake manifold. So, I have purchased a new lower intake, which has an updated P/N., for $286 + shipping from genuineaudiparts.com. When I push on rod on the new part, I can easily move it completely to stop and open the flaps. Based on your description, I would say that your actuator froze.
The actuator picture I posted is in middle front of the manifold at the top. I think you are talking about another actuator which is at the passenger side of the main manifold. I checked mine and it seems to be okay and moves easily and doesnt seems to be jammed. It does look like loose on the gear and seems to be slipping over the gear. Might be that is causing the problem.

can you plz post the part number that you bought with pictures if possible , I am not able to locate it on GeniuneAudiParts.?

Also how do I install it...looks like main manifold will need to be removed first?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't have the part # handy but it should be pretty easy to find on genuine audi parts as there are only two of them. Yes you do need to take off the main manifold, and also the fuel lines attatched to the manifold if I recall correctly. Check out the cleaning carbon deposit thread for all of the instructions you need to replace the lower manifold. If you havn't lately I would recommend cleaning the carbon deposits since you will have to remove pretty much everything.