A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Intermittent brake light outage. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent brake light outage. Help?

I remember reading a thread on this topic a while ago . . . anyone have it bookmarked?

Within the last 3 months, I have had the passenger and driver's side tail/brake light go out for about a day or so, and then it came back. What can I do to remedy this? I have never looked at the light assembly on my '06. Is it a contact/corrosion problem?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

I had the same problem. You need to replace the light assembly.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just posted the same problem. I replaced the tail light assembly, still have the problem
Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the plug where the taillight goes into. Use some dilectric grease to make a better connection.

I had this problem and no longer do.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haha bye
Check the plug where the taillight goes into. Use some dilectric grease to make a better connection.

I had this problem and no longer do.
Thanks. I'm assuming the plug is easy to access from the trunk.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it's easy to access but not from the trunk. Go in the trunk and look behind where each taillight is and take the extended plastic black fastener off. Once that's off you can literally pop the taillight out as its only held in by clips now.

Just be careful when taking off the black inner cover of each taillight ( where the taillight meets the trunk) off.

Also go in the trunk passenger side cubby hole and push all of the plugs into their respective sockets to make sure one or two are not loose or not in all the way. Wiggle the fuses too.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, it's easy to access but not from the trunk. Go in the trunk and look behind where each taillight is and take the extended plastic black fastener off. Once that's off you can literally pop the taillight out as its only held in by clips now.

Just be careful when taking off the black inner cover of each taillight ( where the taillight meets the trunk) off.

Also go in the trunk passenger side cubby hole and push all of the plugs into their respective sockets to make sure one or two are not loose or not in all the way. Wiggle the fuses too.
Thanks for the info. I hope to get to this soon (though this weekend is not looking promising.)
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I STILL haven't taken it apart and applied dielectric grease. I've been meaning to but haven't made the time yet. Since the lights had been working it was placed on the backburner.

However, this morning I had both the passenger and driver's side brake lights/turn signals go out! First one, then both concurrently! After making some various stops it would even alternate a little as to which one (though it's been mostly the passenger side one) would be out when I started the car back up. Frustrating!

Incidentally, I live in Ohio and the temperature was in the teens this morning when I left.

Taking the lights out and applying dielectric grease is now HIGH on my list today. Ha ha

I really hope I don't have to buy two new assemblies!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok. I'm not popping the taillight out as easily as I anticipated. What's the "extended plastic black fastener"? I popped off a relatively large black cap from the liner in the trunk. There's a black "peg" or something (with a slot in it) visible then. However, it doesn't seem to thread out. What am I missing here?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Buckeyedoc006
Ok. I'm not popping the taillight out as easily as I anticipated. What's the "extended plastic black fastener"? I popped off a relatively large black cap from the liner in the trunk. There's a black "peg" or something (with a slot in it) visible then. However, it doesn't seem to thread out. What am I missing here?
Never mind. It unthreaded when I used a socket. The taillight was then loose, however, I couldn't get it to pop out completely. Is that where the "wedge" is officially recommended? I was afraid of breaking something if I used too much force. I also had fun trying unsuccessfully trying to take apart the wiring harness near the top of the driver's side taillight. I'm guessing if I could get my hands on it better (with the tailight out) that I could do it.

I'm pretty discouraged that I may need to buy TWO new taillights. With this problem being so prevalent, why doesn't Audi make it right by the owners of their cars?

Quick Reply: Intermittent brake light outage. Help?