A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Just got a 06, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 06, a few questions

Hey Guys,

Please excuse the username, signed up a while ago when I was looking into 05s. However, I'm picking up my 2006 A6 on Friday and am very excited. Its a 3.2 quattro with s-line, premium, nav, etc.

Just had a few quick questions as I learn more about the car:

1. I don't have the buttons at the end of the windshield wiper stalk, does my car not have a trip computer? Kind of surprising as it does have the Nav and premium package. I take it there is no way to change the readout from range to something like MPG then?

2. Whats the main difference between the FSI sound and the sound of the timing tensioners going? I've done some searches on here and youtube and its kind of hard to tell based on my computer speakers.The car only has 70k miles but the age is getting there so it'll be something I look out for.

3. When do most folks get the carbon cleaning done? Seeing as how i'm at 70k already, its another thing I'll be looking to do.

4. What should I get done as a part of the 75k service? My plan is to take it over to Tyrolsport(i'm in NYC) as I've read some good stuff about them to get some stuff done. I'll likely be asking them do take a look for carbon cleaning and the tensioners, so I'm curious what else I should look into doing as a part of preventative maintenance.

5. Do you use techron? I've read varying things on BMW forums as I used to own a e90 3 series.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-02-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

1. dunno. do you have the user guide?
2. injectors you hear all the time. tensioners will be obvious on cold startup.
2a. injectors are very rhythmic (unless you have an issue). chain slap less likely to be.
3. when you get idle problems that don't go away with plug/coil pack replacement and low rpm torque problems.
4. catch up all the deferred mx from previous owners. fuel filter, trans fluid with pan drop and filter, brake fluid if not in last 24 mos, I personally would even do coolant at the 10 yr mark. plugs and packs as needed (55k records?)
5. yes in the chevron branded 93 product. not as standalone. wont do a thing for the intake. may help CCD (combustion chamber deposits). Research LSPI
Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FL C6.5 Avant
1. dunno. do you have the user guide?
2. injectors you hear all the time. tensioners will be obvious on cold startup.
2a. injectors are very rhythmic (unless you have an issue). chain slap less likely to be.
3. when you get idle problems that don't go away with plug/coil pack replacement and low rpm torque problems.
4. catch up all the deferred mx from previous owners. fuel filter, trans fluid with pan drop and filter, brake fluid if not in last 24 mos, I personally would even do coolant at the 10 yr mark. plugs and packs as needed (55k records?)
5. yes in the chevron branded 93 product. not as standalone. wont do a thing for the intake. may help CCD (combustion chamber deposits). Research LSPI

Agree with everything. just to add:

2b. tensoners fail will sound like a tank tracks and it will sound louder at geat. There could be other source of noise. i.e. whole in exhaust.

3. I do nothing. If it happens and I will get CEL - I will clean it. I drive on highway agresivly, use proper oil and proper gas. Never had this problem. My 06 avant is at 148K now.
4a. get carfax. it can show all maintanance from the previous owner. in addition I would change the steering fluid since steering is expensive to replace. Also fuel filter. also lube the hinges, suntoof guides, blow the rail hoses. Replace air filter and clena snow screen. finally you can replace the cabin filter.
while you on it, check tires and rotate if necessary.

4b. if you did not do it at purchase - find a friend with vag com and check all error codes.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by beep-beep
4a. get carfax. it can show all maintanance from the previous owner. in addition I would change the steering fluid since steering is expensive to replace. Also fuel filter. also lube the hinges, suntoof guides, blow the rail hoses. Replace air filter and clena snow screen. finally you can replace the cabin filter.
while you on it, check tires and rotate if necessary.

4b. if you did not do it at purchase - find a friend with vag com and check all error codes.
good adds. forgot about PS fluid, but yes, exchange it.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. I picked the car up friday and drove about 350+ miles this weekend on my trip to PA. Overall, the car drives well.

A few things I noticed:

I opened the hood to try to listen for any kind of timing chain tensioner rattle but I'm still not sure since I have watched many videos on Youtube and I don't think there is one of a "normal" engine sound.

I also noticed as I was driving into my parking garage yesterday that when I turn, there is a bit of a clicking noise that can only be heard outside. Any idea what this could be?

Lastly, I have a lag in acceleration but more alarming would be that acceleration is jerky, often times in the same gear? Is this the torque converter?

Thanks for the help!