A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Lookin for KEVIN GARY

Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick update for my situation. Brought the car to Audi dealer today. They replaced the "brakelight switch" which cost me $240 (the part seems to be around 20 bucks or so for older model A6, I can't get the price for the my model online at all). I'm having a mixed feeling toward this. Why the hell the car says parking brake malfunction (with ABC and ESP lights came up) and they said it's the ABS getting weird signal??? anyhow, let's see how things go. I truly hope the problem is fixed.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They charged you $240 and the problem didn't get fixed? My parking brake had some complications when my rear pads were getting replaced.. (this was after they replaced the pb control module when they tried to perform the s/w update as per the TSB and failed -so replaced the control module) the parking brake malfunction light came on - and the on-board computer was registering error on the 'Airbag + transmission + parking brake + (something else)'. The parking brake was working fine, but there was the 'P' with a line across it error was appearing.

I was told that these are all connected and on the same circuit. The guy then disconnected the battery overnight and did external calibration on the parking brake and the error went away.

Originally Posted by BlueSander
A quick update for my situation. Brought the car to Audi dealer today. They replaced the "brakelight switch" which cost me $240 (the part seems to be around 20 bucks or so for older model A6, I can't get the price for the my model online at all). I'm having a mixed feeling toward this. Why the hell the car says parking brake malfunction (with ABC and ESP lights came up) and they said it's the ABS getting weird signal??? anyhow, let's see how things go. I truly hope the problem is fixed.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
They charged you $240 and the problem didn't get fixed? My parking brake had some complications when my rear pads were getting replaced.. (this was after they replaced the pb control module when they tried to perform the s/w update as per the TSB and failed -so replaced the control module) the parking brake malfunction light came on - and the on-board computer was registering error on the 'Airbag + transmission + parking brake + (something else)'. The parking brake was working fine, but there was the 'P' with a line across it error was appearing.

I was told that these are all connected and on the same circuit. The guy then disconnected the battery overnight and did external calibration on the parking brake and the error went away.
I'm really in a mess now. This is how it goes with my car: randomly while driving, skidding light and ABS went off then the middle screen will say either "Parking brake malfunction" or ABS/ESP error or something like that (I only saw the 2nd message once after 4 times this happened randomly). Everything is gone after I stop the engine and start it again. We own an autoshop (not so much into German cars but we do have computer diagnosis). I hooked the computer to the car and it said " 01316 Brake system ECU read trouble codes intermitent".
This is what the dealer did today: they replaced an $8 part called "brakelight switch". As far as i know, that thing goes right at the brake pedal and sends signal to the rear brake lights and to ABS/ESP control module. The dealer said their computers showed error in both the ABS control module but it could have caused by the brakelight switch. ABS cntrol module is 2.4k a piece hence they decided to replace the brakelight switch first. They noted that if the problem still there, ABS control module will needed to be replaced.
Since the problem takes place randomly, i tried to drive around a lot today but no light showed up. Thought everything was okay, I went home. Before I put the car back inside, I was showing on of the member in the family how to use memory seat. We started up the cars several times and the last time the ABS and skidding lights went off right after I turned the key to ON. I freaked out and here I am doing more searches online.

Here is previous experience with this dealer that made me felt unsure about their judment of the actual problem: back in 2008, the airbag light turned on and passenger airbag stayed off no matter there is passenger riding with me. I took the car in and they said the passenger occupant sensor needed to be replaced for $1400 which is ridiculous since I rarely ride with anyone since the first day. I decided not to take any action until March of 2009 when I decided that it was time to get it fix since I started to carry my gf more offten. I decided to hook up my car to the diagnosis computer and clear the airbag light first to see if the occupant sensor actually is fried. It turned out the thing works fine after the error code is clear. There no longer the airbag light and the passenger airbag now is on whenever there is a passenger.

12:28am
: okay, i found something from ross-tech website
01316 - ABS Control Module: No Signal/Communication
Possible Causes
Wiring/Connector(s) from/to ABS Control Module faulty
Fault(s) stored in ABS Control Module
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring/Connector(s) from/to ABS Control Module
Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
Usually Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 125+ show the current Communication Status

The question now is - could the new front after market ceramic brake pad I put in 2 month ago caused this? or could difference between my left and right tires (2 left are replaced recently while the 2 right are old) caused this?

Last edited by BlueSander; 10-19-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

MMI not working, black screen and controls

Hi all,

Unfortunately my mmi in my 2007 audi A5 quattro has stopped working properly.

When I put the key in the ignition the mmi screen come on 4 5 second than again black. I start the car and still nothing. The controls/buttons are not illuminated either and unresponsive.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dragos Dumitriu

I suspect you have a break in your optical circuit. Have you run diagnostic using a vag? I believe there is an option there to diagnose breaks in optical path.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragos Dumitriu

Dragos, don't thread jack...if you have an issue with your MMI not working here's what I recommend you do:

1 - SEARCH the forum. There are a number of threads which address this issue, like this one: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...y-mmi-2760970/
2 - try to reset the mmi by the 3 button method

3 - post a new thread and include as many details about the car, the conditions which caused the issue and what have you done to attempt to fix it.

Welcome to the forum