A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Low Oil Level Light- Faulty Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Level Light- Faulty Sensor?

Lately my low oil light has been coming on if I am driving on the highway for over 30 minutes or so, roughly. I topped the oil off a few weeks ago, and it seemed to fix the problem, but today I went on a 45 minute highway drive and it came on again. I checked my oil level when I got home and it was 3/4 of the way up between the minimum and max levels... spot on. I am wondering if there is a way to clean the oil level sensor, or if I need a new one, or of there is another trick out there that I don't know about.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have same fault

regards
Old 08-03-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrianreece
Lately my low oil light has been coming on if I am driving on the highway for over 30 minutes or so, roughly. I topped the oil off a few weeks ago, and it seemed to fix the problem, but today I went on a 45 minute highway drive and it came on again. I checked my oil level when I got home and it was 3/4 of the way up between the minimum and max levels... spot on. I am wondering if there is a way to clean the oil level sensor, or if I need a new one, or of there is another trick out there that I don't know about.
It is possible that you have an oil leak or also possible that your car is burning oil.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom
It is possible that you have an oil leak or also possible that your car is burning oil.
Assuming from OP's post that his oil level hasn't gone down. It might be that you need to actually replace the sensor OP. I've had a similar problem on a MINI in the past. Nothing was wrong, but check engine light kept coming on!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MotoBenuci
Assuming from OP's post that his oil level hasn't gone down. It might be that you need to actually replace the sensor OP. I've had a similar problem on a MINI in the past. Nothing was wrong, but check engine light kept coming on!
I reacted on his post also
i dident understand how he could burn oil og leak oil if no oil is dissapering hehe

I guess it's the sensor on my car also since temp is ok , and oil is ok.

Regards Stian
Old 08-15-2017, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianreece
first step would be to run a VCDS scan on the car and you can help determine possible causes. But based upon what you've stated, I'd also guess it may be a bad sensor. Remove it and clean it with electrical cleaner and see if that fixes it, if not order a new one.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Raj. For what its worth, I have replaced three Audi oil level sensors over the years - all in different V6s. They just die. The OEM units are made by Hella - they are available outside of Audi for a fraction of the price. DO NOT use a non Hella unit. In the cars I did, easy quick fix.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 148 Likes on 133 Posts

old post, but Im still hunting down leaks on my car... my next step is to replace the oil lever sensor "washer" as Audi calls it. It's just a flat looking o ring.

Ive tried searching the forums but cant find any write ups on this. Anyone replace this seal? I know its near the pan, but do you have to raise the car to do it?

I know on the A4 its on the bottom of the pan, same for A6?

Last edited by Sallad; 02-06-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes you can always order the exact part, but IMO it is better to get a metric set of o rings from ebay. $8.98 delivered.
Surely one will fit. Do not get SAE sizes. This url works currently but is likely to go bad eventually:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184764787215
Even if none fit, you can put three smaller ones on top of each other to make it seal.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 148 Likes on 133 Posts

The proper sealing washer is flat, not a round profile like a standard o ring.

The job was easy, the new sensor came with a new washer. So no issues.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Level Light- Faulty Sensor?