A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Is there any situation where an incorrect alignment would be acceptable?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there any situation where an incorrect alignment would be acceptable?

My car had an alignment yesterday and I got a printout of the results. Turning angle diff. for both front:left and front:rear as well was maximum left steer and maximum right steer are out of specification. Literally they gave me a printout where before and after alignment these items are unchanged and in red with an asterisk saying "This value is not within specification. Tire wear, handling and safety problems may result." There was no one in the service department besides one guy who just looked like he was there for pick ups/drop offs so I didn't mention this at the time. I assume that I already know the answer to this, but is there any situation in which this would make sense or is this just bad service work?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Sometimes there is not enough adjustment to get within specs on camber. This is a common problem with cars that have been lowered and still have only stock adjustment or cars that have been in an accident. I am not sure what your car (C5 Avant?) has for camber adjustment but it probably is not much. This is acceptable for the alignment shop because there is nothing they can do.

The other reason is worn suspension parts. In this case there typically loose bushings or ball joints which the alignment tech should identify and inform you of the problem, usually recommending that the bad parts get replaced. A good shop will not even attempt an alignment on cars with worn components because it is a waste of their time and your money.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, with all the Audis in my sig I should have been more specific. 06 A6 Avant. CPO. Bone stock. 39k miles. The alignment was at the Audi dealer and on their dime since it was part of the sale (noticed something off during test drive). The situation in your second paragraph is what I am concerned about.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Service manager responded stating: Those are lock to lock measurements for a full steering right or left angle. They can be disregarded. Thrust angle, front and rear –castor, camber, and toe are the measurements to be concerned with.

The measurements are:
Caster: 2deg53' (front:left), 2deg55' (front:right)
Turning angle: -2deg07' (front:left), -1deg51' (front:right)
Maximum left steer -32deg36'
Mximum Right Steer -39deg23'

All of the above are out of spec except for caster which does not say wha thte specific range is.

Does this make sense?