A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Mirrors possessed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirrors possessed

My side view mirrors seem to have a mind of their own. Both driver and passenger side mirrors move randomly every once in a while when getting in the car. I can't figure out why. No matter how many times I adjust them and then use the "Set" button to store their positions in memory, they will periodically move. They also don't do it at the same time, making it even harder to diagnose. Sometimes the passenger side moves out of position and the drivers side stays correct, and sometimes vice versa. The driver side mirror seems to do it when I get in, as if the existing mirror position (the correct one that I left it in when I exited the vehicle) is incorrect and now needs to be adjusted to my setting. The weird thing is that it doesn't do this every time - just sometimes. The passenger side mirror also seems a bit sticky, as the motor seems to occasionally have a hard time moving the mirror according to my input.

Anyone have any ideas? If I were to just replace the mirrors entirely, might that solve the issue? Is it flaky motors, or is it a problem with the mirror "memory?" If it is the memory not working properly (this does NOT happen with the seat - only the mirrors), is the faulty position memory physically on the mirror and housing (so theoretically a new mirror would solve this), or is it part of the car (any replacement mirror would do the same thing)?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

My passenger mirror and the auto tilt steering wheel does the same thing. The steering wheel creeps (up or down, can't remember which direction offhand), and hitting the memory button every so often brings both the PS mirror and steering wheel back to the original set position. When I first got the car in 2008, I used to use the auto tilt in reverse memory function on the PS mirror, but stopped because it didn't always seem to return to the exact same position and it annoyed me that it didn't. Steering wheel has been doing it for quite a while, possibly since new - never payed much attention to it. PS mirror seems to have been within the last year (without the auto tilt in reverse), but I'm not sure on that either since I have a habit of hitting the memory button. I just switched off the driver's remote memory in the settings last week to see if that has anything to do with it. Otherwise, for me it's just a minor annoyance that I have to hit the memory button from time to time.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a bit more than a minor annoyance for me because essentially the stored memory function does not seem to work for the mirrors - only the seats. It is as if the mirror memory is permanently set to a previous setting, because it always tries to move into the same setting. I also can't intuitively pinpoint the problem. When I use the mirror control joystick to move/set the mirrors, they move as intended, with few or no hitches in the movement. However, when I open the door to get in the car and the mirror moves out of position, I sit down, and I then hit the memory button to get it back to the position I tried to store in memory before getting out, the motor goes crazy and cycles over and over - like a car that won't start.

Then after I use the mirror **** to move it where I want, hit the "Set" and "1" buttons to store the position, the memory button seems fine. I push it and the mirror doesn't move - because it already is in the proper setting. Once I get out and then get back in, that memory setting seems to have vanished. If I push the memory button at that point, the mirror "tries" to move out of place to the mysterious permanently stored position, sometimes getting there and sometimes not because the motor is struggling.

I thought about replacing the motor, but if it were the motor, why would it work perfectly when I use the joystick? It only struggles and cycles funny when I push the memory button?

It's not like it's rocket science to program the memory, and I'm 99% certain I'm doing this properly. I have 2 other Audis and I assume it works exactly like the buttons on my A5 and Q7. It's actually more annoying than not having the memory at all because I actually have to set the door mirrors almost every time I get in the car.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My steering wheel is set to move out of the way when when entering and exiting the car, it sometimes stays up out of the way when seated to drive. More of an annoyance than anything else. The real problem I have is that seat memory sometimes gets wife's and my my key remotes confused. So when unlocking with my key and opening the door the seat will sometimes move to my wife seating position. She is 7 inches shorter than me. UGH.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you ever figure out a solution to your issue? My passenger side mirror won't always work. When it does, it only goes left & right. As soon as you try up or down it stops working all together but usually starts working left & right after a key cycle.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issue, passenger mirror tends to reset it self to default position. I always have to adjust it. Pressing memory preset button doesn't put it back in place as if the it doesn't store position.