A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Misfire issue P0300, P0301 and P0302

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Misfire issue P0300, P0301 and P0302

Hello everyone! Looking for input on an issue I’m having with my 2008 A6 C6 4.2 BVJ and a misfire/stumbling concern. Took the car to the local dealer a month ago or so for a recall involving the cats, apparently they were to be replaced under this recall. I asked if they were tearing a good chunk off the car for the job and if they were to note any other issues they found so I could take advantage of some overlapping labor. They told me that they found several oil leaks involving the valve covers, something around the oil filter housing and the separator plate or something. They said the intake manifold would have to be removed to address one and that I should do the intake carbon cleaning. Agreed to it all, they had the car for almost three weeks and fixed everything. When I picked the car up, before I even left I smelled gas so I opened the hood while idling and fuel was dripping out of one of the lines going to the drivers side HPP. Hood strut was shot and leaking fluid all over (working fine before I took it in) and the hood wouldn’t latch when I went to close it. Went inside and informed the service manager so he took the car back in the shop, brought it out two minutes later and said it was all fixed. The fuel wasn’t leaking but the hood wouldn’t latch without slamming it shut. Took it home and parked it. After that, whenever I’d go to start the car, I had to stand on the brake pedal to get it to go down far enough to start the car via push button. After it would start it seemed to idle rough and putting it in gear the car seemed to chug a little bit. I drive it pretty mildly so I didn’t notice much else until one day I stomped on it to pass a car on the highway. Hit about 5k rpm and it started misfiring and the CEL flashed. Took it home and hooked up VAGCOM and had a P0300 code. Took it back to the dealer and told them what I found. They scanned it and came up with p0300, p0301, P0302 and P2177 (system lean bank 1). Their advice was to put new spark plugs in cylinders 1 & 2 and do an intake carbon clean for $491 so they could properly diagnose the problem, a few weeks after they did the recall, plus $2400 of extra repairs on top of it. I asked if the carbon clean from a few weeks back wasn’t enough and all I heard was crickets. Told them not to touch anything and I’d pick the car up. My friend that works in parts sold me 8 plugs and coils and I installed them myself, which to my lack of surprise, did nothing at all. I knew it wasn’t the problem but I wanted to prove a point. Took it out for a run and I have the exact same condition of random misfire along with misfires on 1 & 2. Pulled another code along with the usual this time p0171 (system lean bank 1). Not sure what to do from here, I have no confidence in the dealership’s competency and at almost $3000 later, my car runs worse than it ever has. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough as to if any of these things could be flags as to what I feel is that they screwed something up like forgot to reattach a hose or plug something in, etc. car ran absolutely fine before I took it in and they had it for that long. Would like to fix it myself to stick it to them, but at the same time I think they messed up. Anyone else had a similar issue with the misfiring and these codes? Thanks again and sorry for the length.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missfire

Originally Posted by BrandoMeats
Hello everyone! Looking for input on an issue I’m having with my 2008 A6 C6 4.2 BVJ and a misfire/stumbling concern. Took the car to the local dealer a month ago or so for a recall involving the cats, apparently they were to be replaced under this recall. I asked if they were tearing a good chunk off the car for the job and if they were to note any other issues they found so I could take advantage of some overlapping labor. They told me that they found several oil leaks involving the valve covers, something around the oil filter housing and the separator plate or something. They said the intake manifold would have to be removed to address one and that I should do the intake carbon cleaning. Agreed to it all, they had the car for almost three weeks and fixed everything. When I picked the car up, before I even left I smelled gas so I opened the hood while idling and fuel was dripping out of one of the lines going to the drivers side HPP. Hood strut was shot and leaking fluid all over (working fine before I took it in) and the hood wouldn’t latch when I went to close it. Went inside and informed the service manager so he took the car back in the shop, brought it out two minutes later and said it was all fixed. The fuel wasn’t leaking but the hood wouldn’t latch without slamming it shut. Took it home and parked it. After that, whenever I’d go to start the car, I had to stand on the brake pedal to get it to go down far enough to start the car via push button. After it would start it seemed to idle rough and putting it in gear the car seemed to chug a little bit. I drive it pretty mildly so I didn’t notice much else until one day I stomped on it to pass a car on the highway. Hit about 5k rpm and it started misfiring and the CEL flashed. Took it home and hooked up VAGCOM and had a P0300 code. Took it back to the dealer and told them what I found. They scanned it and came up with p0300, p0301, P0302 and P2177 (system lean bank 1). Their advice was to put new spark plugs in cylinders 1 & 2 and do an intake carbon clean for $491 so they could properly diagnose the problem, a few weeks after they did the recall, plus $2400 of extra repairs on top of it. I asked if the carbon clean from a few weeks back wasn’t enough and all I heard was crickets. Told them not to touch anything and I’d pick the car up. My friend that works in parts sold me 8 plugs and coils and I installed them myself, which to my lack of surprise, did nothing at all. I knew it wasn’t the problem but I wanted to prove a point. Took it out for a run and I have the exact same condition of random misfire along with misfires on 1 & 2. Pulled another code along with the usual this time p0171 (system lean bank 1). Not sure what to do from here, I have no confidence in the dealership’s competency and at almost $3000 later, my car runs worse than it ever has. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough as to if any of these things could be flags as to what I feel is that they screwed something up like forgot to reattach a hose or plug something in, etc. car ran absolutely fine before I took it in and they had it for that long. Would like to fix it myself to stick it to them, but at the same time I think they messed up. Anyone else had a similar issue with the misfiring and these codes? Thanks again and sorry for the length.
I have an 07 A6 C6 and had a random misfire that gradually got worse so I finally gave up a took it to my local import guy last year. After a miserable experience and 2 weeks he replaced the battery voltage regulator ($900) and sent me on my way. Here I am again almost exactly a year later with the same random misfire along with when I get to 6 or 7 rpm I get an ESP failure which is actually a misfire on 1.. I took it to a different guy who may be the smartest mechanic I have been too and suspected it was a bad computer and/or carbon build up but told me to take it to the dealer.. they said the same and quoted me $3000. ( Along with the computer I have the same oil leak )... This guy claims he knows a guy who can take a used computer and clone it to my car for $450.. I plan to drop it off this week because it wont run consistant anymore. He says hot weather effects it and it was just a bad few years for the A6.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Any update on these misfires gents? I have random (but frequent) misfires on all cylinders that I have no idea what is causing it. No codes. I have seen that this can be caused by maybe 10 different things and now I saw another one by reading the post above (battery voltage regulator). Wow. I don't want to just waste money and replace all sorts of stuff for nothing. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I haven’t had much luck. I also have had zero time to do anything with it so nothing has been done since I originally posted this query. Car still idles rough for a few seconds after coming off the high idle circuit, stumbles a little when first putting it in reverse in the morning. My exhaust (aftermarket) sounds like you backed the car down the boat ramp and revved it up with the pipes underwater, CEL is on but not flashing at least. Thinking about setting up the second part of the airbag recall at a different dealer and seeing if they’ll take a crack at it. Hopefully they have a more astute mechanic at their big city shop instead of my semi-rednecky local dealer. Miss the days when this car hauled *** smooth as silk vs this embarrassing bathtub fart exhaust note I’ve developed. Lol. Hoping to get it fixed sometime especially since I’ve been having this problem, I put 2015 S7 20” wheels on with brand new Michelin Pilot 4S tires and a 2011 S6 paddle shift steering wheel. Why fix the major stuff when you can throw goodies at it? Lol.

Last edited by BrandoMeats; 08-22-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 08-22-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Akingzkid, what were the 10ish things you’ve turned up as possibilities? Like I said before I did all OEM plugs and coils (8). Also I did both high pressure pumps last summer because one failed and it kicked the car into EPC mode until I replaced both of the HPPs, ran Wynn’s Power Charge through it a couple times even though I’ve never ran anything but 93 octane ethanol free gas in it. I also replaced the fuel filter/regulator with an OEM replacement because of my ****-ness. Past experiences with other makes and models I’ve worked on kinda point me to a possible bad injector or two, but that’s on American cars with limited electronics and I know the Germans use controls that have computer functions for everything, even things you wouldn’t think needed them.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I haven’t had much luck. I also have had zero time to do anything with it so nothing has been done since I originally posted this query. Car still idles rough for a few seconds after coming off the high idle circuit, stumbles a little when first putting it in reverse in the morning. My exhaust (aftermarket) sounds like you backed the car down the boat ramp and revved it up with the pipes underwater, CEL is on but not flashing at least. Thinking about setting up the second part of the airbag recall at a different dealer and seeing if they’ll take a crack at it. Hopefully they have a more astute mechanic at their big city shop instead of my semi-rednecky local dealer. Miss the days when this car hauled *** smooth as silk vs this embarrassing bathtub fart exhaust note I’ve developed. Lol. Hoping to get it fixed sometime especially since I’ve been having this problem, I put 2015 S7 20” wheels on with brand new Michelin Pilot 4S tires and a 2011 S6 paddle shift steering wheel. Why fix the major stuff when you can throw goodies at it? Lol.
Awh man. Sounds like a mess. Hope you get it figured out. You are a comedian I see (bathtub fart exhaust and semi-rednecky local dealer). LOL.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Akingzkid, what were the 10ish things you’ve turned up as possibilities? Like I said before I did all OEM plugs and coils (8). Also I did both high pressure pumps last summer because one failed and it kicked the car into EPC mode until I replaced both of the HPPs, ran Wynn’s Power Charge through it a couple times even though I’ve never ran anything but 93 octane ethanol free gas in it. I also replaced the fuel filter/regulator with an OEM replacement because of my ****-ness. Past experiences with other makes and models I’ve worked on kinda point me to a possible bad injector or two, but that’s on American cars with limited electronics and I know the Germans use controls that have computer functions for everything, even things you wouldn’t think needed them.
Well..............let's see:
1) Plugs
2) Coil packs
3) Injector(s)
4) PCV
5) vacuum leak (cracked plastic hoses)
6) fuel filter
7) clogged fuel line(s)
8) HPFP
9) Valve cover gaskets (causing oil to leak onto plugs and cause misfires)
10) Camshaft position sensor(s)
11) Crankshaft position sensor(s)
12) Camshaft position solenoid(s)
13) low oil pressure
14) Carbon build up (need carbon cleaning)

There.......how did I do? LOL.

Last edited by akingzkid; 08-23-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BrandoMeats,
What did you think of my list?

Also, I see you mentioned ethanol free gas. I have a gas station near me that recently started selling that and I stopped there to get it one day but figured I would go inside and ask someone about it because I was not sure if it met the requirements of "high octane" because it didn't have a number on the pump (ie. 87, 89, 91 or 93). The guy said I should not put it in my car and that it was mainly used for lawn equipment like weed eaters, etc. I was like wow! Ok, glad I didn't fill up. He doesn't know what he is talking about does he?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
BrandoMeats,
What did you think of my list?

Also, I see you mentioned ethanol free gas. I have a gas station near me that recently started selling that and I stopped there to get it one day but figured I would go inside and ask someone about it because I was not sure if it met the requirements of "high octane" because it didn't have a number on the pump (ie. 87, 89, 91 or 93). The guy said I should not put it in my car and that it was mainly used for lawn equipment like weed eaters, etc. I was like wow! Ok, glad I didn't fill up. He doesn't know what he is talking about does he?
Yes the higher level ethanol gas (E15 & up) can contribute to issues for things like boats, mowers etc. if there is no octane # I would not put it in an Audi or really any car for that matter.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 09mazda6
Yes the higher level ethanol gas (E15 & up) can contribute to issues for things like boats, mowers etc. if there is no octane # I would not put it in an Audi or really any car for that matter.
I don't quite understand your reply. Are you saying that it is ok to use Ethanol free gas in my Audi if it is as the E rating listed? And it needs to be E what for it to be ok to use?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Misfire issue P0300, P0301 and P0302