A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI failure

]I am looking at a 2006 A6 3.2 Quattro AWD with low mileage for purchase. The MMI has very recently failed. Consequently, the radio and GPS (at least) don't operate. I presume the repair is very expensive and I don't need either. My question is would the failing of the MMI deny me access to things other than the GPS and radio? i.e. are there other functions which are inaccessible, or non-working, except through the MMI?
Thanks
Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Worst-case scenario, liquid was spilled sometime/or multiple times over the car's life and fried the electronics inside. Check ALL the buttons and make sure none are sticky.

Honestly, the MMI is half the car in my opinion. You will basically have no function of any kind on the car, except driving/braking, a BIG drawback in a car like this. If the entire unit must be replaced, yes, it will be VERY expensive. I personally wouldn't risk it, and I would definitely not live with a C6 that way.

Keep searching for another car, there will always be another. I learned that lesson hard. The C6 cars are pretty damn solid and reliable, but you cannot buy one which has components as important as these, broken. This is also a signal that there could be OTHER things wrong with the car.

Good luck. Do research. Think it through.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TeamHate
Worst-case scenario, liquid was spilled sometime/or multiple times over the car's life and fried the electronics inside. Check ALL the buttons and make sure none are sticky.

Honestly, the MMI is half the car in my opinion. You will basically have no function of any kind on the car, except driving/braking, a BIG drawback in a car like this. If the entire unit must be replaced, yes, it will be VERY expensive. I personally wouldn't risk it, and I would definitely not live with a C6 that way.

Keep searching for another car, there will always be another. I learned that lesson hard. The C6 cars are pretty damn solid and reliable, but you cannot buy one which has components as important as these, broken. This is also a signal that there could be OTHER things wrong with the car.

Good luck. Do research. Think it through.
Thank you very much; I'm very likely to follow you advice. In fact, I'm aleady looking at another A6, albeit with twice the miles. Just to be clear, with the MMI malfunctioning, would I still have access to the A/C, heater, windows, moonroof etc. i.e. everything but the audio functions and GPS? Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, the repair might be $300 and it could be something far worse. Hard to guess at stuff like this...
Old 09-20-2017, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I purchased my A6 and the MMI wasn't working as well. However all the other electronics are working. In the glove box the CD changer lights up, the DVD player doesn't. In the trunk, the NAV lights up as well. Not sure if the amp is good or not. Having it checked out today. Will update you guys as to my results