A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Advice with “TPMS Malfunction” message.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Advice with “TPMS Malfunction” message.

I get this once in a while, I’ll be driving and I get a loud beep and the DIC displays TPMS malfunction and the tire light in the tach starts flashing rapidly accompanied by big yellow letters that say TPMS at the top of the center screen between the gauges. It’s NOT the low tire indicator where the light comes on steady and shows the bulged out tire in the DIC. I installed new Blizzaks myself about 2 months ago on factory 18” wheels and put 4 new OEM sensors in while changing tires. I install new sensors whenever I install tires for peace of mind. I swap these out with a set of 20” S7 wheels for the summer months and back to the 18” Blizzaks for winter. Both sets of wheels have new sensors and all tire pressures are correct all the time. I did get the low tire indication one time, but that’s because I picked up a screw in one of the 20s over the summer. This isn’t a low pressure issue, seems like something with the system itself. It happens more often in the winter when the roads are really messy or I’m spinning the wheels excessively. Only happened once that I know of in the summer months. So saying all the sensors are good, pressures are correct, did the “change wheels” and “store current tire pressures” in the MMI, what else could be the culprit? If I shut the car off and restart it, it goes away for a while. Doesn’t happen too often but trying to find out why it does. Is there a transmitter or some other component that could be acting up? Maybe affected by slush/water? I have RossTech and ran the codes, wasn’t very informative, but I can retrieve the info if anyone thinks it would help. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2020, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 2006 A6 Avant, which was caused by the receiver above the rear courtesy light falling down in the headliner. I'm not sure if that problem applies to your A6 sedan, but there was TSB #2011237 Rev. 3 to address DTC 01521 to fix this problem that added a bracket (P/N 4F0–907–526) for the receiver.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I’ll look into that, not saying it might be my exact problem, but at least it’s a direction to head. I knew that it’s got to be something other than the normal parts involved with the system. Thank you for the input, much appreciated!
Old 01-06-2020, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandoMeats
I get this once in a while, I’ll be driving and I get a loud beep and the DIC displays TPMS malfunction and the tire light in the tach starts flashing rapidly accompanied by big yellow letters that say TPMS at the top of the center screen between the gauges. It’s NOT the low tire indicator where the light comes on steady and shows the bulged out tire in the DIC. I installed new Blizzaks myself about 2 months ago on factory 18” wheels and put 4 new OEM sensors in while changing tires. I install new sensors whenever I install tires for peace of mind. I swap these out with a set of 20” S7 wheels for the summer months and back to the 18” Blizzaks for winter. Both sets of wheels have new sensors and all tire pressures are correct all the time. I did get the low tire indication one time, but that’s because I picked up a screw in one of the 20s over the summer. This isn’t a low pressure issue, seems like something with the system itself. It happens more often in the winter when the roads are really messy or I’m spinning the wheels excessively. Only happened once that I know of in the summer months. So saying all the sensors are good, pressures are correct, did the “change wheels” and “store current tire pressures” in the MMI, what else could be the culprit? If I shut the car off and restart it, it goes away for a while. Doesn’t happen too often but trying to find out why it does. Is there a transmitter or some other component that could be acting up? Maybe affected by slush/water? I have RossTech and ran the codes, wasn’t very informative, but I can retrieve the info if anyone thinks it would help. Thanks!
I fought this problem for nearly a year after getting a new set of tires installed. I replaced my sensors and the problem did not go away. I have a TPMS tool so I could see that each of the sensors was indeed working. I ended up over inflating the tires slightly and my problem went away.