A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI Nightmare in Progress. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Nightmare in Progress. Suggestions?

2005 A6 4.2. I get in my car on 10/19 and the MMI is totally dead. Nothing works. Dealer gets it on 10/20 and tells me I need a part (covered by warranty). Good thing it's covered as he says the part is $1,200. Not sure how long it will take to arrive from Germany. It takes about a month. I drop the car off to get the part installed. Dealer says part has two extra wires and he doesn't want to try it. Thinks Germany sent wrong part. He sends it back. A few weeks later he gets the new part. Same thing. Two extra wires. Learns that the new "universal" part can be used with the two extra wires disabled (I'm guessing they are for a back-up camera and something else that isn't on my 2005). He puts the new part in today, 10 weeks after I first brought the car in, and the MMI picks up short wave radio only. Frustrated after 10 weeks of failure, the service tech takes a 2005 that just came off lease and pulls the part he needs to fix my car. Puts it in. Tries to run an update of some sort (spark?) and the thing goes dead. Now, after 10 weeks of zero MMI (no radio, CD, phone, nav, car set up, nothing) I'm in the exact same place I was on October 20. All is dead and the dealer has no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Warranty has expired in the interim, but this problem is being repaired on the 10/20 service, which is still open, so it is covered.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 actually:

- Call AoA and open a case.
- use the Enter key ;-)
Old 12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: 2 actually:

I did that about 4 weeks ago. Should I call them back and complain again? Last time I got a lot of lip service about how concerned they were with my problem. They said they were going to call the dealer and look into things, but it's been a month since then and I'm right where I started.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I know it may be hard.

But, if you could explain the component or what they had to order a little better it would help.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I know it may be hard.

I'll check with the dealer tomorrow and get more info.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Cat Herder

probably the main MMI module that goes behind the glovebox. about the right price range.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: MMI Nightmare in Progress. Suggestions?

Here's the update. Got my car back 1/7. MMI "fixed." Here's the big problem. The bluetooth is a useless. It does not read my address book so I have to dial. Once a call is connected, it's in and out. Also, I get a "please wait" message 10 seconds after the call connects so I can not access any phone features. For example, I can't hang up. Not even if I get an answering machine and I've finished leaving a message. I have to wait for the person I called to hang up on me. Also, after I place a call, I get some idiotic lawyer screen that warns me that it is dangerous to read idiotic lawyer screens while driving. I have to push the button that I already pushed to get rid of the idiot lawyer screen and then push it again to place my call. I tried my wife's phone. Her address book connects, but her calls drop after 20 seconds or so. Both my phone and my wife's phone worked perfectly before the MMI went dead and got fixed.

The MMI problem was the main module. After they fixed that, they said my phone module (a separate problem) also needed to be replaced.

Anyone else have phone nightmares with an 05?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Cat Herder

Default they may not have updated the BT module properly when they did the MMI replacement.

the lawyer screen behavior is normal, that's the way it is now.

take a pic of your car/version screen and post it. let's see what you have.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 AM
ESN
Elder Member

When my '07 was in last week, they told me there was a BT upgrade "campaign," do you get the update?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Cat Herder

Kevin sent me the TSB and I'm ordering the bundle on Monday...we shall see.

Quick Reply: MMI Nightmare in Progress. Suggestions?