A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI Not working - Startup Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

latest update: my local indie mechanic was able to pass my MMI Control Head and then MMI Button Unit to an unknown local who was able to test them. The Control Head came back OK, but I was told the Button Unit was dead. So my next move is to do one of these swaps

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...3AA6%2BQuattro

Has anyone done this before -- are the boards all the same?
Old 06-02-2018, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have not done it before, but based upon what the board looks like it might be fairly simple.

This will help a little:

https://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/a/...console-422380
Old 08-25-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Final update: The MMI controller board was dead and a quick replacement on eBay brought my MMI back to life!

It was my first guess, but I didn't want to start replacing parts blindly. However, the 4 MMI loopback connectors I ordered on eBay never arrived, so I sort of reverted to old habits...
Old 10-07-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mixersoft
Final update: The MMI controller board was dead and a quick replacement on eBay brought my MMI back to life!

It was my first guess, but I didn't want to start replacing parts blindly. However, the 4 MMI loopback connectors I ordered on eBay never arrived, so I sort of reverted to old habits...
Congratulations :-) I am on the beginning of this journey, yesterday got water in passenger footwell after the whole day torrential rain. Water was also on the MMI console, left side, exactly the same thig like your. I have disconnented the battery and dried the water with hair drier. Now will leave minimum two days on the sun and wind and then try to reconnect the battery.

My question is did you diagnose the reason why water entered in the car? Did it happened again? Is not much help fixing the problem if the main trouble is still there...
Old 02-21-2019, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default driver side mirror

I've been following this thread and wondering if the MMI could be related to water leaking in the driver side mirror. I had someone hit my mirror and it came apart in two pieces but i was able to snap it back together although one of the 'teeth' didn't close all the way so there is a bit of a gap in the mirror separating. The blinker and lights on the mirror all work fine though so i have not gotten it fixed as it was not a huge deal. This happened end of November and now in early February my MMI did a weird flash/glitch on the screen and shortly after was not working. Now reading these posts and hearing about wire problems with the driver mirror and water damage inside the front driver area i'm wondering if its related. The interesting thing though is when i took it to my dealer they did scans and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working so summed it up to a tech problem but had to order in a new console/piece of the MMI. I would think it if was related to the driver mirror having that gap it would of shown that as a fault? I guess what i'm wondering now, should i spend the money to get the driver side mirror fixed in case of this being a problem for water leak leading to MMI damage ? or is it unrelated? any thoughts?
Old 02-21-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ckat414
I've been following this thread and wondering if the MMI could be related to water leaking in the driver side mirror. I had someone hit my mirror and it came apart in two pieces but i was able to snap it back together although one of the 'teeth' didn't close all the way so there is a bit of a gap in the mirror separating. The blinker and lights on the mirror all work fine though so i have not gotten it fixed as it was not a huge deal. This happened end of November and now in early February my MMI did a weird flash/glitch on the screen and shortly after was not working. Now reading these posts and hearing about wire problems with the driver mirror and water damage inside the front driver area i'm wondering if its related. The interesting thing though is when i took it to my dealer they did scans and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working so summed it up to a tech problem but had to order in a new console/piece of the MMI. I would think it if was related to the driver mirror having that gap it would of shown that as a fault? I guess what i'm wondering now, should i spend the money to get the driver side mirror fixed in case of this being a problem for water leak leading to MMI damage ? or is it unrelated? any thoughts?
It ended up not being the mirror. The MMI failed again without the mirror connected. A faulty Sirius Satellite Radio Module was the problem (in my case). The bad Sirius module drains the battery and messes with the MMI.
Check MY comments here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...blems-2963758/
Old 02-21-2019, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ckat414
In my case problem was in in sun roof which was leaking. The frame of the sunroof had to be glued no problems since. Of course, i have changed the MMI console.. The console was not bad, it was working (with a little disco show with illumination), but parking brake button was fried.

But in your case it is possible that some kind of short is causing trouble... In my case computer diagnostic was not of much help...