A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI says "An Installed Component is not valid. Please contact Audi Workshop" - Power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI says "An Installed Component is not valid. Please contact Audi Workshop" - Power?

Hello,

I have an 2006 Audi A6 Avant 2.4 Quattro. One day the MMI wouldn't output any audio. After restarting the car it would come to life again. Days/week later, the MMI would power on, then display "An Installed Component is not valid. Please contact Audi Workshop" and power off. With the engine running, after a few restarts the system would eventually start working, but without sound. A few restarts later and the sound would be back as well.

As time went on, the problem started appearing every time I started the car. The time it took for the system to come alive with sound working would also take longer. Eventually, rebooting the MMI wouldn't work any longer. Sometimes after driving for an hour the MMI would suddenly turn on, with sound and all working for the remainder of the journey. The next day it would not be working again.

Now finally, it isn't working at all, even after prolonged driving. I read that the Audi A6 battery manager needs exactly 14 volts to keep all systems running, and if it drops below 14 it starts turning things off, like the MMI (is this true?) I checked the battery voltage with engine off, engine on and engine under load, and the highest reading I could get at the battery terminals with the engine at 3000-4000 rpm was 13.9 volts. Is this a possible culprit? The battery is almost new, so I would assume the alternator could be the issue.

I don't have a VAG COM but could go to Audi and have it scanned. Has anyone experienced similar issues (slowly stopping to work rather than sudden death) and was it power related? Can the battery manager be disabled to test this theory, or would hooking up a second battery to the terminals help get the voltage above 14 volts for testing purposes?
Old 11-08-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by sz1a
Hello,

I have an 2006 Audi A6 Avant 2.4 Quattro. One day the MMI wouldn't output any audio. After restarting the car it would come to life again. Days/week later, the MMI would power on, then display "An Installed Component is not valid. Please contact Audi Workshop" and power off. With the engine running, after a few restarts the system would eventually start working, but without sound. A few restarts later and the sound would be back as well.

As time went on, the problem started appearing every time I started the car. The time it took for the system to come alive with sound working would also take longer. Eventually, rebooting the MMI wouldn't work any longer. Sometimes after driving for an hour the MMI would suddenly turn on, with sound and all working for the remainder of the journey. The next day it would not be working again.

Now finally, it isn't working at all, even after prolonged driving. I read that the Audi A6 battery manager needs exactly 14 volts to keep all systems running, and if it drops below 14 it starts turning things off, like the MMI (is this true?) I checked the battery voltage with engine off, engine on and engine under load, and the highest reading I could get at the battery terminals with the engine at 3000-4000 rpm was 13.9 volts. Is this a possible culprit? The battery is almost new, so I would assume the alternator could be the issue.

I don't have a VAG COM but could go to Audi and have it scanned. Has anyone experienced similar issues (slowly stopping to work rather than sudden death) and was it power related? Can the battery manager be disabled to test this theory, or would hooking up a second battery to the terminals help get the voltage above 14 volts for testing purposes?
Sounds like the vehicle has lost recognition of a module in your car and deemed it to be from another vehicle and hence is applying component protection on it. That would require removal via the Audi dealer. There are only a handful of parts which have component protection enabled and these can't be removed via VCDS/Vagcom.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Sounds like the vehicle has lost recognition of a module in your car and deemed it to be from another vehicle and hence is applying component protection on it. That would require removal via the Audi dealer. There are only a handful of parts which have component protection enabled and these can't be removed via VCDS/Vagcom.
Do you mean removal of a physical component or removal of the component protection?
Old 11-08-2017, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by sz1a
Do you mean removal of a physical component or removal of the component protection?
removal of component protection for the module.

Take a look at this thread to familiarize yourself with CP modules for your vehicle: Component Protection