A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

MMI shuts off after startup

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mystrodo
Thanks for the update. I would have never guessed it was the button panel until I looked at the photo..very dirty indeed.
I always fear spilling a cup of coffee..now I know why. Thanks for the heads-up
Looks like this maybe my problem as well after water got into my unit.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem, I'm an engineer so went ahead and disassemble the center console and remove the MMI controls, it had and awful lot of gunk and spilled liquid just dried up. I cleaned the board with circuit cleaner, reflow the soldering
Joints and thought that would solve the problem, Nop it didn't I can't get pass the legal disclaimer. Before I buy a new control unit what would you guys recommend?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Abner_hagelsieb
I have the exact same problem, I'm an engineer so went ahead and disassemble the center console and remove the MMI controls, it had and awful lot of gunk and spilled liquid just dried up. I cleaned the board with circuit cleaner, reflow the soldering
Joints and thought that would solve the problem, Nop it didn't I can't get pass the legal disclaimer. Before I buy a new control unit what would you guys recommend?
Sorry to hear that, but had you posted here a week ago, a friend of mine just sold there new (reman) MMI control unit in the center console for about $220 on ebay.

If you actually reflowed the solder and attempted to reset the unit and still get no where...I think you might be at the end of the proverbial road with the unit.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99
Sorry to hear that, but had you posted here a week ago, a friend of mine just sold there new (reman) MMI control unit in the center console for about $220 on ebay.

If you actually reflowed the solder and attempted to reset the unit and still get no where...I think you might be at the end of the proverbial road with the unit.
Thank a million for your response! Bad timing, that would have been awesome, any how do you think that with a new controller unit should be good to go?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Abner_hagelsieb
Thank a million for your response! Bad timing, that would have been awesome, any how do you think that with a new controller unit should be good to go?
I can't say definitively that a new MMI unit will remedy your issue, but if you've already done the troubleshooting and are seeing the SAME issues as the OP (original poster), then I'd give it a go.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you check the amp? There's posting here or Audizine where the amp's went out and others where the MMI head unit fried. Have you checked the fuses in the boot has well?
Have you ran a diagnostics with Ross Tech Cable or VAG?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an 2008 Audi Q7 and MMI has been disabled for quite some time. I did however figure out how to reboot and bring temporary life back to the MMI screen. If you disable the negative battery cable for 5 minutes and fasten it back on, the MMI reboots and is operating. My problem if anyone has a solution is it turns back off within 48 hours? My guess is there is not enough power in the amp? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-14-2018, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2009 Audi A4 MMI boots up and shuts off

So I have been searching everywhere and tried just about everything in the book besides taking it to the dealer to figure out this problem. I ran the fibre optic loop back through each of the components, including underneath the glovebox. No joy. Checked all of the fuses and they all come back good.

One thing I have noticed though. All of the loop connections don’t blink at all, which I’ve been told isn’t a big deal, or have I been given wrong information? I haven’t seen anything like this online anywhere.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CFerrante
So I have been searching everywhere and tried just about everything in the book besides taking it to the dealer to figure out this problem. I ran the fibre optic loop back through each of the components, including underneath the glovebox. No joy. Checked all of the fuses and they all come back good.

One thing I have noticed though. All of the loop connections don’t blink at all, which I’ve been told isn’t a big deal, or have I been given wrong information? I haven’t seen anything like this online anywhere.
Your vehicle is an 09 A4, which has a different MMI than the C6. try searching and posting in the B8 A4 section of the forum here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...iscussion-128/