A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

My APR tuned A6 3.0T Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My APR tuned A6 3.0T Review

Well I have been nagging APR about the A6 3.0T since the day I picked up my A6 roughly 2 years ago. Keith and Arin have been nothing but helpful. Originally, I had the tune scheduled to be done at GRD (Genesis Racing and Development) in Villa Park, IL. They were very professional, polite, and knew their stuff. Unfortunately, after 3 days of waiting, it turned out my ECU could not be flashed without APR having my car as well. Bummed out, I began talking with Arin.

After exchanging some PMs, I asked if I could ship my car to APR. Arin said "Get it here and it's free." [eek] I started searching companies and getting shipping quotes. Either way, I was going to be saving money because nothing was going to cost over $1400. Then, Arin notified me that their engineers had recently figured out a way to extract code from my ECU but there was the risk that my ECU would be completely erased in the process and that I would have to get a new one. I figured I trust APR more than I trust a shipping company.

I contacted Reid Vann in St. Louis (I'm in Missouri until May) and scheduled an appointment to have my ECU pulled and shipped to APR. I then asked Arin if the deal still stood for the free flash...

It did.

So I would like to first say, THANK YOU APR. The way you treat your customers is nothing short of impressive. This goes to show how serious they take their clients. Second, Reid Vann was great. Brian knows his stuff and is very personable. I would highly suggest his shop. They have some beautiful and extremely rare cars there. Third, GRD was wonderful as well. Irfan helped me out and definitely knew his stuff too. I plan on having them do my coilovers and sways this summer.

Now to the 93 octane tune:

The drive back from St. Louis was... just get the chip and you will know what I mean. I was making myself laugh. My roommate who drove me to St. Louis had to call me to say he could not keep up. Apparently following me was not going to work. The smoothness of the 3.0T is deceptive. Get an APR flash and that power is very deceptive. Pulls were smooth but quite fast. Passing semi-trucks was done in a blink of the eye. The tune just makes the car five times more fun to drive. At one point, I had to merge into 70mph traffic from 30mph rush hour traffic. I hit the throttle and [>_<]... I got the giggles again. That's right, giggles.

Along with the power, throttle response is improved. I no longer feel a lag from a standstill. Somehow, my mileage has also improved despite my right foot being made of lead. If you were on the fence about getting the tune, fall onto the right side of that fence. The tune plus custom exhaust by Trexturk on audizine (Tom) has made my car a blast to drive. I took some friends for a ride and they were all laughing their asses off.

Here's a short video of the tune + exhaust combo. I will make a much better one in the near future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpddQ2WiaWE

Here's a vid of one of the better pulls. Nav kept calling me Dave in this clip for some reason? APR might have to sort that bug out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6JNQwPWE0

Thank you APR! You guys have made me a customer for life. Now develop some more A6 stuff so I can buy something!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds great, put her on a dyno to see what number she makes strapped on. We need better videos too... parking lot passes captured from inside the car are just not doing it!

A fan of 2010 aye... the series of books are awesome.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Sounds great, put her on a dyno to see what number she makes strapped on. We need better videos too... parking lot passes captured from inside the car are just not doing it!

A fan of 2010 aye... the series of books are awesome.
I love 2001. The cinematography in the movie was mind-boggling for its time. I have never read the books though. You may have just inspired me to do so.

I will be dynoing in May. More video is definitely coming. My roommate has agreed to help out so I should have some rather cool shots. I am going to also use the "Dynolicious" iPhone app to get some preliminary readings just to entertain myself. I will make sure to post those up.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The book trilogy is incredible for the lack of a better word. Some of the best science fiction I have read. Read one chapter and you will be hooked... the movie got nothing on the book, there is so much more to the story line then you think!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default warranty?

I am also a new owner of a 2010 A6 3.0T and am interested in the APR tune. The APR website claims that the upgrade is "undetectable" by dealership VAG diagnositic tools. I don't really want to void my warranty--is there a risk here?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Of course there is a risk, albeit lower due to the APR programs. You're modifying your car so the risk is soley your own. In theory any failure would have to be a result of the mod you made. Unfortunately when you get to the dealer they are holding the cards (and your car). A lot of people just wait until they are out of warranty to mod. It's like cheating on your taxes. Yes there is a risk you will get audited and caught, as long as you understand the consequences, go for it. Your call.

Originally Posted by JTaudi10
I am also a new owner of a 2010 A6 3.0T and am interested in the APR tune. The APR website claims that the upgrade is "undetectable" by dealership VAG diagnositic tools. I don't really want to void my warranty--is there a risk here?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought some dealers are selling apr modded cars. incuding those mods in the financing. so with that being the case there should be no need for worry i would think.