A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

No power steering for a 2005 a6

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power steering for a 2005 a6

I ran over a railroad and broke my power steering hose. I brought it to mechanics and they've been telling me that I should drive my car without power steering. I've been told my power steering can lock up within like 10-20 miles of driving it. I've drove it around 400 miles so far and nothings happened. I was kinda wondering if someone can tell me that it's okay to drive it without power steering, because if I can I won't fix it. Not worth it for the money that it takes to replace it. Please give me your opinion on the matter.

It's a 2005 Audi A6 American car
Old 01-30-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by byablun
I ran over a railroad and broke my power steering hose. I brought it to mechanics and they've been telling me that I should drive my car without power steering. I've been told my power steering can lock up within like 10-20 miles of driving it. I've drove it around 400 miles so far and nothings happened. I was kinda wondering if someone can tell me that it's okay to drive it without power steering, because if I can I won't fix it. Not worth it for the money that it takes to replace it. Please give me your opinion on the matter.

This is the 2017-current A4 forum. You’ll have better luck in the correct one.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

You probably have a leak in the power steering, since if you have NO power steering in your car, I'd say you'd need to have forearms like Arnold to drive that car. By not running the fluid you can cause damage to the vehicle, which in the long-run will be much more expensive to repair. Why not just replace the ps fluid hose?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know that the hose is cracked. If I don't repair it can I still drive the car? I'm already used to driving it without power steering already and it seems like nothings happened so far. I think if I get it fixed now that it will cost even more since I will probably have to replace the power steering pump and the p/s hose. so the question is if I choose not to replace it will it still work months from now? No mechanics have been honest with me they just want to steal my money.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I know that the hose is cracked. If I don't repair it can I still drive the car? I'm already used to driving it without power steering already and it seems like nothings happened so far. I think if I get it fixed now that it will cost even more since I will probably have to replace the power steering pump and the p/s hose. so the question is if I choose not to replace it will it still work months from now? No mechanics have been honest with me they just want to steal my money.
I say go for it. What’s the worst that can happen? The PS pump, running dry, could seize. Then the accessory belt would shred. So what if you loose your water pump and alternator. At least your brakes will work.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle

I say go for it. What’s the worst that can happen? The PS pump, running dry, could seize. Then the accessory belt would shred. So what if you loose your water pump and alternator. At least your brakes will work.
moral of the story...avoid fixing a relatively small problem, soon escalates to a rather big issue.