A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Using Rainx in your washer tank?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using Rainx in your washer tank?

Might want to check this link out. I've been using the winter formula for years because it really works well with ice on the windshield. Usually use it year round, but ran out and put the summer 2+2 formula in about 3 months back. Sure enough, low washer fluid light is on all the time now. I thought I might have a leak in the tank when I found some on the ground. Pulled the inner fender shield off today and what do you know, tank is full. Coincidentally, passenger side jets became plugged. Folks might want to read this link.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...with-full-tank
Old 07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg617
Might want to check this link out. I've been using the winter formula for years because it really works well with ice on the windshield. Usually use it year round, but ran out and put the summer 2+2 formula in about 3 months back. Sure enough, low washer fluid light is on all the time now. I thought I might have a leak in the tank when I found some on the ground. Pulled the inner fender shield off today and what do you know, tank is full. Coincidentally, passenger side jets became plugged. Folks might want to read this link.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...with-full-tank
I believe I read about this very issue somewhere recently. Essentially a short in the circuit which was indicating low washer, but being incorrect. I think it was washer level sensor (or something like that).

Personally, my Audi dealer dis-recommended RainX products and I've just used generic washer fluid meant for a wide-range of temps.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
I believe I read about this very issue somewhere recently. Essentially a short in the circuit which was indicating low washer, but being incorrect. I think it was washer level sensor (or something like that).

Personally, my Audi dealer dis-recommended RainX products and I've just used generic washer fluid meant for a wide-range of temps.
Talked to Audi service today and they have repaired hundreds since winter. Anything with a water dispersant in it seems to put a film on the sensor probes inhibiting continuity. I've been using RainX Deicer in my C5 for 6 years or more without a problem. But ran out in May and bought the 2+1 RainX. It says new and improved formula. Aha! Dealer usually cleans the bottom of the tank and the sensor probes but has had to replace a number of sensors.

That said, I but about 6 ounces of alcohol and some dawn dish detergent in to see if I could get rid of the slime. Light is off and car is resting for a few days so I'll drain it and see if I can keep the light off without pulling the sensor. If that doesn't work, I'll try the table spoon of salt which is making the forum rounds. I will say driving in heavy rain after washing windshield with Dawn gets you some looks as the bubbles fly off
Old 03-08-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

if the "mixture" doesn't work... anyone have any idea where the sensor is located?
Old 03-08-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The sensor is in the washer fluid tank.

A salt water mixture will also help relieve this Rain-x induced problem.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I understand it's in the res.
In the Q7, it's as simple as pulling the wheel well back... my question is where, in the car, is the res located, and what needs to be done to access the sensor?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also, I'm concerned about the corrosive characteristics of salt water...
while this may be a good short-term fix.. it seems to me this could harm the longevity of the sensor leads
Old 03-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stoliguy
if the "mixture" doesn't work... anyone have any idea where the sensor is located?
On the c6, it's behind the inner fender at the back of the wheel well. Take the wheel off and pretty easy to get to

FYI, I tried the salt water solution and the Dawn dish detergent solution. The light went out while filled with either but came right back on when flushed with water and with new plain old blue windshield washer back in. I finally pulled the sensor and there was an orange slime coating the two electrodes. Cleaned them up, put the sensor back in, filled up and no problem since.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg617
On the c6, it's behind the inner fender at the back of the wheel well. Take the wheel off and pretty easy to get to

FYI, I tried the salt water solution and the Dawn dish detergent solution. The light went out while filled with either but came right back on when flushed with water and with new plain old blue windshield washer back in. I finally pulled the sensor and there was an orange slime coating the two electrodes. Cleaned them up, put the sensor back in, filled up and no problem since.
Simple chemistry. Salt increases conductivity so when you had saline in the tank the current got through and kept the circuit closed which keeps the warning light off. Once you filled with water the conductivity dropped and the the circuit stayed open because the slime acted as insulator.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Rainx products can be funny stuff. Yes, the water slides off, but it used to rot the rubber wiper blades on my last car. That ended fast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using Rainx in your washer tank?