Numerous A6 issues - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007-present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numerous A6 issues

Old 10-10-2017, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Numerous A6 issues

Hi
my name is Devin I bought an 2006 Audi A6 3.2. i have put over 8000 in to the car trying to bring it back up to tip top. All at Audi dealerships no matter how much I spend things just keep going wrong. My most recent problem is that from about 5% to 50% throttle it violently surges and then falls on to its face almost to a stall if I pump the throttle it will maintain speed better and yet the MIL is not on. I have had valve cover gaskets, a bad injection replaced, all motor mounts, all new coils and spark plug, oil change, coolant flush, brakes and brake flush all done. I have been researching all the issues related to my problem I donít think it is carbon buildup because once it gets to 75% to 100% throttle it kicks in and goes after a couple of seconds. I also considered that the high pressure fuel pump was bad but it does not act like it is not getting enough fuel at high speeds. I read a post on here that talked about it being a computer problem because there was no MIL on since it was not an emissions or drive train problem. I was thinking it could be a flat spot no the throttle position sensor or a miss communication between the throttle peddle and throttle servo motor. I also think it could be plugged cats but I would think that would send a code considering the down flow o2 sensor would be reading nothing or very little. If this is a common problem Audi 3.2 is there another engine that would swap in with relative ease that does not have so many issues. I love this car and donít want to let it go I need to find a solution.

Thanks for help
Old 10-11-2017, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audidevin View Post
Hi
my name is Devin I bought an 2006 Audi A6 3.2. i have put over 8000 in to the car trying to bring it back up to tip top. All at Audi dealerships no matter how much I spend things just keep going wrong. My most recent problem is that from about 5% to 50% throttle it violently surges and then falls on to its face almost to a stall if I pump the throttle it will maintain speed better and yet the MIL is not on. I have had valve cover gaskets, a bad injection replaced, all motor mounts, all new coils and spark plug, oil change, coolant flush, brakes and brake flush all done. I have been researching all the issues related to my problem I donít think it is carbon buildup because once it gets to 75% to 100% throttle it kicks in and goes after a couple of seconds. I also considered that the high pressure fuel pump was bad but it does not act like it is not getting enough fuel at high speeds. I read a post on here that talked about it being a computer problem because there was no MIL on since it was not an emissions or drive train problem. I was thinking it could be a flat spot no the throttle position sensor or a miss communication between the throttle peddle and throttle servo motor. I also think it could be plugged cats but I would think that would send a code considering the down flow o2 sensor would be reading nothing or very little. If this is a common problem Audi 3.2 is there another engine that would swap in with relative ease that does not have so many issues. I love this car and donít want to let it go I need to find a solution.

Thanks for help
Hi Devin, welcome to the forum...step 1 at this point would be to pull a full VCDS log and post it here, since that data should help provide some direction on possible causes. It could be the fuel filter, fuel pressure sensor, throttle body...have you at least replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99 View Post
Hi Devin, welcome to the forum...step 1 at this point would be to pull a full VCDS log and post it here, since that data should help provide some direction on possible causes. It could be the fuel filter, fuel pressure sensor, throttle body...have you at least replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body?
i have replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body. When it comes to the VDCS do I need an Audi specific scan tool or can it be done with a third party snap-on scan tool.

Thanks for hellping
Old 10-11-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i have replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body. When it comes to the VDCS do I need an Audi specific scan tool or can it be done with a third party snap-on scan tool.

Thanks for hellping
Yes, the VCDS is specific to VAG (VW, Audi, etc...) cars, but a Snap-On might do...I'm not sure.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by raj99 View Post
Yes, the VCDS is specific to VAG (VW, Audi, etc...) cars, but a Snap-On might do...I'm not sure.
ok thanks I will see what I can do and then post my results for you to look at
Old 10-12-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for hellping
My wallet committed suicide as soon as I read that you put $8,000 into your A6 already. I highly recommend getting a VAGCOM / VCDS scan tool. That way you can save money and work on your car yourself. Also if you have a snap on touch screen scan tool, that can work too but to a certain extent. I find that VAGCOM is more accurate and pin points problems easier. Also, I would check your throttle body. Clean out or replace it if it's high mileage.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom View Post
My wallet committed suicide as soon as I read that you put $8,000 into your A6 already. I highly recommend getting a VAGCOM / VCDS scan tool. That way you can save money and work on your car yourself. Also if you have a snap on touch screen scan tool, that can work too but to a certain extent. I find that VAGCOM is more accurate and pin points problems easier. Also, I would check your throttle body. Clean out or replace it if it's high mileage.
just wondering would I want to post the DTC if there is any stored or would I want to take a few snap shots of the live data from the few sensors the snap on scan tool lets me look at. Or just post all the data I can get. Btw I called the Audi dealership that most recently had my car and I am still waiting for a manager to call back is this lack of service Common with the Audi dealerships.

thanks for helping
Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

just wondering would I want to post the DTC if there is any stored or would I want to take a few snap shots of the live data from the few sensors the snap on scan tool lets me look at. Or just post all the data I can get. Btw I called the Audi dealership that most recently had my car and I am still waiting for a manager to call back is this lack of service Common with the Audi dealerships.

thanks for helping
All data would be best. But you can start off with posting DTC's.