A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

OEM windshield interfering with EzPass Transponder

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM windshield interfering with EzPass Transponder

So, I've had my car for almost a year and a half. For the majority of the time I have been dealing with the PA Turnpike Commission/EzPass because my transponder does not work in this car. I had it mounted in the location it was mounted in my old car, and it was not being picked up by the sensors. When I called them, they were able to see it in the windshield in the photos, but the tolls were not being collected.

Long story short, after being told to remount it in several locations, they deemed the car was causing interference and have sent me a front bumper/license plate mounted transponder. As I'm in PA, and rather enjoy not having to have an ugly front plate, I am trying to figure out an inconspicuous mounting location. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

I was considering zip-tieing it behind the grill in front of the a/c condenser (near the horn trumpets), or in the lower grill below the bumper reinforcement but was curious if being that much closer to the radiator and engine bay would be too hot of an environment for it? Has anyone tried this?

Any other locations I could consider?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by isaac.reddinger@gmail.com
So, I've had my car for almost a year and a half. For the majority of the time I have been dealing with the PA Turnpike Commission/EzPass because my transponder does not work in this car. I had it mounted in the location it was mounted in my old car, and it was not being picked up by the sensors. When I called them, they were able to see it in the windshield in the photos, but the tolls were not being collected.

I was considering zip-tieing it behind the grill in front of the a/c condenser (near the horn trumpets), or in the lower grill below the bumper reinforcement but was curious if being that much closer to the radiator and engine bay would be too hot of an environment for it? Has anyone tried this?
Interesting, I've never heard of the problem - I wonder if the windshield was replaced along the way (you said it was OEM but... maybe you got the car used, etc) Does the windshield have Audi marking on it? I'd go see what mine says but the wife just went out with it.

I can't imagine that where you suggest mounting would cause an overheat on the transponder. Those locations seem like they would get lots of airflow. I would be wondering if it might interfere with the radiator, but the transponders are pretty small. Also, I would guess that the radiator was design to be able to withstand some obstructions like leaves or debris before not being able to cool enough.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by isaac.reddinger@gmail.com

Long story short, after being told to remount it in several locations, they deemed the car was causing interference and have sent me a front bumper/license plate mounted transponder. As I'm in PA, and rather enjoy not having to have an ugly front plate, I am trying to figure out an inconspicuous mounting location. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

Any other locations I could consider?

Thanks!
My EZ pass is located to the right of mirror about 1 inch below top of windshield without any issues...
Old 09-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ended up checking again, and although I THOUGHT I had OEM glass, it doesn't look like I do... Oh well. I ended up finding a relatively inconspicuous mounting location for the time being.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have my ezPass transponder mounted just above the right side of my inside rear view mirror, on my windshield, of my '06 A6.
It works just fine.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I have since figured out I probably do not have OEM glass.