A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

P2006 Error code/Black soot buildup

Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P2006 Error code/Black soot buildup

Hello, all!.This is my first post. Be gentle.

Not the biggest car guru, but I am fully capable of DIY jobs, in reason. I just recently got my state inspection (TX) for my 2008 Audi A6 3.2L (base model), and literally the next few hours, the CEL came on. Just my luck.

I ran to AutoZone, and it reads x2 P2006 error codes: intake manifold runner control circuit has detected a stuck closed intake runner flap for bank 1. I checked the hose lines in the front of the engine bay and I did not see any visible cracks, not did I hear any vacuum leaks. What else could cause this CEL to illuminate? I don't have access to a VAGCOM reader, but my research online has shown its roughly the same error codes. How do I diagnose this issue further? What else could possibly throw off this particular CEL code? Could it be the intake manifold gasket?

Also, this may or may not be related, but I've notice a lot of black soot buildup underneath the hood. It's virtually everywhere. I'm assuming it's a gasket from the valve covers, but I would like to get some suggestions from the community. Thank you all!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorambo
Hello, all!.This is my first post. Be gentle.

Not the biggest car guru, but I am fully capable of DIY jobs, in reason. I just recently got my state inspection (TX) for my 2008 Audi A6 3.2L (base model), and literally the next few hours, the CEL came on. Just my luck.

I ran to AutoZone, and it reads x2 P2006 error codes: intake manifold runner control circuit has detected a stuck closed intake runner flap for bank 1. I checked the hose lines in the front of the engine bay and I did not see any visible cracks, not did I hear any vacuum leaks. What else could cause this CEL to illuminate? I don't have access to a VAGCOM reader, but my research online has shown its roughly the same error codes. How do I diagnose this issue further? What else could possibly throw off this particular CEL code? Could it be the intake manifold gasket?

Also, this may or may not be related, but I've notice a lot of black soot buildup underneath the hood. It's virtually everywhere. I'm assuming it's a gasket from the valve covers, but I would like to get some suggestions from the community. Thank you all!
Welcome to AW and your engine bay looks filthy, when you get a chance, I'd clean it and then determine why all the black soot is there.

As for the P2006, sound like you've got a vacuum leak and I'd check this out: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24276198

It's common enough and a fairly easy fix. BTW, my guess is that your engine has a ton of carbon build-up considering the state of it and most likely no one has ever done a carbon cleaning on it.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, shes a dirty one. I'll be cleaning her this weekend, as well as tackling this error code. Any tips for a DIY carbon cleaning? I can't afford a ridiculous $1300 price tag from Audi for a cleaning...

I inspected the hoses again, and they feel/look in good shape. No cracks and they do not feel brittle.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, shes a dirty one. I'll be cleaning her this weekend, as well as tackling this error code. Any tips for a DIY carbon cleaning? I can't afford a ridiculous $1300 price tag from Audi for a cleaning...

I inspected the hoses again, and they feel/look in good shape. No cracks and they do not feel brittle.
Visual inspection of hoses is not "good enough", I'd highly recommend a smoke test to be 100% certain.

As for carbon cleaning DIY, here you go:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Roger that. Let's say I am able to get a smoke tester (hehe, or just use my vape pen), should I simply disconnect the hose from both ends and try? If I was to test the whole system with an actual smoke tester, where would I plug into?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Roger that. Let's say I am able to get a smoke tester (hehe, or just use my vape pen), should I simply disconnect the hose from both ends and try? If I was to test the whole system with an actual smoke tester, where would I plug into?
I would just test it on the one side which is creating the vacuum and you'll be able to tell. BTW, this should help you with your issue, my hunch says that it's the same part, but obviously not disconnected as obviously and probably right at the end you have some sort of leak.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ption-2965761/
Old 03-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

First off, thanks for the help with all of this! That's what I am hoping is the case. I don't hear any vacuum leaks like in the video you just linked, but I hope it's just the hose being worn at the 90 joint.

I can barely get my hand down in there, but I can just remove the power steering reservoir out of the way, I assume. Will I need the Dorman male adapters for both ends, assuming I use 3.5mm/.3175" vacuum hosing? I'm unsure if I am going to need any other adapters, if I am replacing entirely.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 321 Likes on 270 Posts

Here are other viewing angles of the possibly problematic vacuum line.

However, errors related to the intake manifold being stuck open or closed is very likely due to a dirty or bad throttle body in my humble opinion. I even think the intake manifold flap is the throttle body.