A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Passenger Tail Light Problem - Replaced bulbs but still not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Tail Light Problem - Replaced bulbs but still not working

I am having a strange problem with my 2006 a6 Quattro's tail light on the passenger side. To start off, a few months back my license plate lights stopped working, first one of them stopped, then a few days later the other one stopped (they were aftermarket LED's that worked fine for 2 years). Then a month ago I started getting error messages that my passenger side brake light wasn't working. It looked like one of the bulbs (the top left bulb) was out. Everything else worked, the LED strip, and the other bulbs. I tried to replace the bulb, however it didn't light. I then replaced all of the bulbs just to make sure and still no luck. The weird thing is that right when I start the car they are all working fine, and then just a few of the bulbs go out, and then they do a dim blink three times and just go out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Audi told me that they would charge me $120 per hour to look at it with a 1 hour minimum.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JattSingh
I am having a strange problem with my 2006 a6 Quattro's tail light on the passenger side. To start off, a few months back my license plate lights stopped working, first one of them stopped, then a few days later the other one stopped (they were aftermarket LED's that worked fine for 2 years). Then a month ago I started getting error messages that my passenger side brake light wasn't working. It looked like one of the bulbs (the top left bulb) was out. Everything else worked, the LED strip, and the other bulbs. I tried to replace the bulb, however it didn't light. I then replaced all of the bulbs just to make sure and still no luck. The weird thing is that right when I start the car they are all working fine, and then just a few of the bulbs go out, and then they do a dim blink three times and just go out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Audi told me that they would charge me $120 per hour to look at it with a 1 hour minimum.
I've read a few others that solved their issue by doing the following: Remove the tail light assembly and inspect the contacts that plug in for any corrosion. If their is visible corrosion do a light sanding and then put dialectric grease on the contacts and put them back together. Over time some of the connection points can develop corrosion that cause shorts. Something worth a shot and has little cost.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
I've read a few others that solved their issue by doing the following: Remove the tail light assembly and inspect the contacts that plug in for any corrosion. If their is visible corrosion do a light sanding and then put dialectric grease on the contacts and put them back together. Over time some of the connection points can develop corrosion that cause shorts. Something worth a shot and has little cost.
If that does not work it means water got into your led array and the only solution is to buy a new taillight unit. I got a new from eBay for $175