A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Pre-facelift to facelift rear conversion

Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre-facelift to facelift rear conversion

I know it has been done many times and I do remember seeing info in threads about it. I just searched and can't find the exact info that I am looking for... I'm hoping someone that has done this rear conversion can give their input. I'm in the process of doing the front facelift conversion but waiting on parts to arrive from over sees, should take about a month.

To do the rear conversion, what will be needed?

I know I will need Facelift Bumper, Trunk, Taillights, and wiring done. The part that confuses me is how to do the wiring? Will additional modules be needed? Or harness swap, etc? Also, with the bumper/trunk installed, will the tail lights bolt right up?

If there are threads that fully explain this please don't hesitate to copy and paste the link for me. Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom
I know it has been done many times and I do remember seeing info in threads about it. I just searched and can't find the exact info that I am looking for... I'm hoping someone that has done this rear conversion can give their input. I'm in the process of doing the front facelift conversion but waiting on parts to arrive from over sees, should take about a month.

To do the rear conversion, what will be needed?

I know I will need Facelift Bumper, Trunk, Taillights, and wiring done. The part that confuses me is how to do the wiring? Will additional modules be needed? Or harness swap, etc? Also, with the bumper/trunk installed, will the tail lights bolt right up?

If there are threads that fully explain this please don't hesitate to copy and paste the link for me. Thanks
You'll need a wiring harness for the swap of the tail-lights. Then I'd get someone who understands 12V electronics to do the install, if you're not well versed. But you have basically everything you need:
rear lights, trunk lid, rear bumper, module for rear lights and wiring harness. BTW, seems like a lot to do to make a 3.2 look like a post face-lift vehicle...why not just spend the $$ on a 3.0T post face-lift vehicle and have it the way it was designed from the factory?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
You'll need a wiring harness for the swap of the tail-lights. Then I'd get someone who understands 12V electronics to do the install, if you're not well versed. But you have basically everything you need:
rear lights, trunk lid, rear bumper, module for rear lights and wiring harness. BTW, seems like a lot to do to make a 3.2 look like a post face-lift vehicle...why not just spend the $$ on a 3.0T post face-lift vehicle and have it the way it was designed from the factory?
Well, I got my 05 4.2 S-Line for a good deal, after purchasing and overlooking the forums, only then did I realize the conversion to 09-11 is possible. In my case, I think it would be money saving to just do the conversion. The reason I'm doing the front conversion is because my front bumper and grille are screwed. I have a dent in my bumper and a broken grille from someone backing up into me. So the way that I look at it... might as well facelift the front a bit. Now the rear, my main reason to wanting to do the rear conversion is because I want to do quad tips. I have an aftermarket exhaust which sounds awesome and I like the look of the quad tips. Now, if I'm not mistaken, I believe my valance on my rear bumper is permanent/painted on. So instead of just getting a new bumper and valance, I figured why not upgrade the rear end as well. After all... I do like the rear facelift better.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also.. things are slowly coming together. I know at first when I first joined the forums and I made a few post's that to some may sound like I'm procrastinating a lot of things. But this very second I'm modding my headlights and projectors, been at this for the past few weeks. I just picked up a set of black Enkei wheels, planning on doing some interior modding this spring, window tints are scheduled for April, and last but not least I'm planning on doing some serious HP mods. Though I can't say exactly what I am going to do as of yet but I'm looking into turbo's currently and still trying to plan it all out. I would say sometime this summer if I have enough available time and $ (2nd kid on the way, will arrive in May) I will start all of that nonsense.

TEASER:

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 02-21-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Also.. things are slowly coming together. I know at first when I first joined the forums and I made a few post's that to some may sound like I'm procrastinating a lot of things. But this very second I'm modding my headlights and projectors, been at this for the past few weeks. I just picked up a set of black Enkei wheels, planning on doing some interior modding this spring, window tints are scheduled for April, and last but not least I'm planning on doing some serious HP mods. Though I can't say exactly what I am going to do as of yet but I'm looking into turbo's currently and still trying to plan it all out...
Turbo? You'd end up spending FAR more than the cost of the vehicle to make that work out for you. The 3.2 is VERY limited when it applies to "go-fast mods". You are essentially stuck with what you have, unless you want to drop a supercharger and spend at least an additional $10K. You can make the car look the part, but unfortunately the 3.2 wasn't loved much by the after-market modding community to allow for any easy drop-ins that substantially increased the power band for it.

However, good luck with the rest of the mods and post pics as make progress.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Turbo? You'd end up spending FAR more than the cost of the vehicle to make that work out for you. The 3.2 is VERY limited when it applies to "go-fast mods". You are essentially stuck with what you have, unless you want to drop a supercharger and spend at least an additional $10K. You can make the car look the part, but unfortunately the 3.2 wasn't loved much by the after-market modding community to allow for any easy drop-ins that substantially increased the power band for it.

However, good luck with the rest of the mods and post pics as make progress.
I'm guessing you mean the 4.2? The 4.2 with turbo's should out-perform a stock S6 and may be very close to an RS6 in engine performance. It is very true that it will definitely be a huge investment. As of now it's something I want to do.. I never had the chance to FULLY mod any of my past rides... will I definitely do it? It's 75% right now, comes down to time and the funds to do so. The 4.2 is already tight on space, so it would have to be something well thought out and planned before attempting. Some might say "Why spend blah blah on a older car when you can buy a new one.. for the same price" well a newer Audi cost a lot more than what I currently spent and will spend overall, I realized the deal I had on my 4.2 S-Line is very hard to come by. On top of that, buying a newer Audi with twin turbo's is another huge price to pay. If I took that route, I would pay just about 15X as much as I paid for my 4.2 after calculations. Now, if I take 1.5X-2X out of that 15X I would have something similar in performance with out dumping as much and still be very happy. My 4.2 is also in very good condition and has about 35,000 less miles than average. I also think it would be a rare looking and performing car after I'm all done and would be of value to me and others as well. I'm not planning on having an ordinary Audi. When and if I do attempt this turbo talk, I will most likely end up doing a lot more maintainence as well.. as I would be "killing 2 birds with one stone". Timing chain is on my list of things to do later on and would definitely be easier and less costing to do it along with all of this performance planning. However, I do appreciate the input. I will be posting update pics as I go.

But if there's still anyone that did this conversion, please give your input on this conversion and all part numbers if you can provide. I want to aim to get this conversion done this spring. Thank you.

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 02-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm guessing you mean the 4.2? The 4.2 with turbo's should out-perform a stock S6 and may be very close to an RS6 in engine performance. It is very true that it will definitely be a huge investment. As of now it's something I want to do.. I never had the chance to FULLY mod any of my past rides... will I definitely do it? It's 75% right now, comes down to time and the funds to do so. The 4.2 is already tight on space, so it would have to be something well thought out and planned before attempting. Some might say "Why spend blah blah on a older car when you can buy a new one.. for the same price" well a newer Audi cost a lot more than what I currently spent and will spend overall, I realized the deal I had on my 4.2 S-Line is very hard to come by. On top of that, buying a newer Audi with twin turbo's is another huge price to pay. If I took that route, I would pay just about 15X as much as I paid for my 4.2 after calculations. Now, if I take 1.5X-2X out of that 15X I would have something similar in performance with out dumping as much and still be very happy. My 4.2 is also in very good condition and has about 35,000 less miles than average. I also think it would be a rare looking and performing car after I'm all done and would be of value to me and others as well. I'm not planning on having an ordinary Audi. When and if I do attempt this turbo talk, I will most likely end up doing a lot more maintainence as well.. as I would be "killing 2 birds with one stone". Timing chain is on my list of things to do later on and would definitely be easier and less costing to do it along with all of this performance planning. However, I do appreciate the input. I will be posting update pics as I go.

But if there's still anyone that did this conversion, please give your input on this conversion and all part numbers if you can provide. I want to aim to get this conversion done this spring. Thank you.
Yep, forgot you had the 4.2 vs. 3.2. As for the turbo...hate to dampen your spirit, but I think you might be pursuing a unicorn and I've personally never heard of someone with a 4.2 being able to add turbo(s) to it...for that matter I didn't even know that there are turbo(s) available for our particular engine. Plus as you mentioned, there's ZERO space in there to add anything.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, forgot you had the 4.2 vs. 3.2. As for the turbo...hate to dampen your spirit, but I think you might be pursuing a unicorn and I've personally never heard of someone with a 4.2 being able to add turbo(s) to it...for that matter I didn't even know that there are turbo(s) available for our particular engine. Plus as you mentioned, there's ZERO space in there to add anything.
You can add turbo's to anything, you just need a shop or an individual that knows what they're doing. Adding turbo's to non turbo'd car most likely end up in blowing the motor at some point, so I would have to overlook everything's presicely and see which performance shop around me will be comfortable doing this when and if the time comes. Also, would have to still figure out if my internals will be able to handle the power.

I also figured a custom hood would have to be in the works to make this all work and possibly bumper modification.

Here's an idea of what's going on in my head but a little more discreet:

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 02-22-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that Vette is fugly. I would be embarrassed to be seen in it on the street.