A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Prospects on Higher Mileage 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prospects on Higher Mileage 3.0T

Hey folks! I'm looking to move up to a newer Audi from my MK1 TT. I daily it and love it but there are times where I need something just a bit more practical and the ability to carry more than one other person 😁

I've been primarily looking at C6 avants with the 3.0T. I've done lots of reading and understand the typical gremlins for this motor (thermostat/water pump, timing chain cover leaks, PCV, etc) but feel that the motor is overall pretty solid as the miles climb. By "higher mileage" I'm talking 125k+ in most situations.

The one thing I've seen a bit of is people who claim to have rear main leaks...that's not exactly a pleasant job and if there's even a small risk of that I'd like to try and avoid it. Is the rear main problem at all common? My TT is 18 years old this year and I've never had leaks from any of my primary engine seals. I suppose it would either be a design flaw or lack of maintenance.

In addition, are there any other things to watch out for motor-wise as the car ages? Vacuum lines are typical but usually an easy fix, ask me how I know 😂 I do virtually all of my own wrenching so labor costs aren't really a factor.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by actualfactual
Hey folks! I'm looking to move up to a newer Audi from my MK1 TT. I daily it and love it but there are times where I need something just a bit more practical and the ability to carry more than one other person 😁

I've been primarily looking at C6 avants with the 3.0T. I've done lots of reading and understand the typical gremlins for this motor (thermostat/water pump, timing chain cover leaks, PCV, etc) but feel that the motor is overall pretty solid as the miles climb. By "higher mileage" I'm talking 125k+ in most situations.

The one thing I've seen a bit of is people who claim to have rear main leaks...that's not exactly a pleasant job and if there's even a small risk of that I'd like to try and avoid it. Is the rear main problem at all common? My TT is 18 years old this year and I've never had leaks from any of my primary engine seals. I suppose it would either be a design flaw or lack of maintenance.

In addition, are there any other things to watch out for motor-wise as the car ages? Vacuum lines are typical but usually an easy fix, ask me how I know 😂 I do virtually all of my own wrenching so labor costs aren't really a factor.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
A few things, finding a 3.0T C6 avant (2009-2011) isn't the easiest thing in the world. Since you are looking at a decade old car, wear and tear and proper maintenance will be essential. Unless you have direct access to a lift and can pull a full VCDS, get yourself a PPI before purchasing. The RMS in the 3.0T isn't really a problem, however ensuring there are no leaks will be key. Also, make sure your suspension components are good, since bushings wear and will need replacement over time.

You should expect a certain level of oil consumption, but obviously look for extreme leaks or consumption. good luck
Old 03-13-2019, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Lots of common ground here. I’ve had a Mk1 TT since 2003. Have a second one now. We had a C6 A6 sedan with the NA 3.2. drove it 80000 miles. I have an S5 with the 3.0 T . It is only at 37000 miles. Overall the A6 and the S5 were and are very trouble free. No engine issues ever on either. I did lose an ECU on the 2006 A6 at 78000 miles but lucked out and the emmisions warranty covered it. Never any oil consumption on any of our Audis. The valve cover has leaked on the 1.8T in the TT but never on the 3.2 or the 3.0T. If you can keep an 18 year old TT running properly you’ll likely do even better with a nine year old C6. Keep in mind though that it is more complex electronically and MMI issues are pretty common and expensive. Good luck on finding a nice Avant. Not too many sold here.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm looking at a 2009 Avant with the 3.0T. Can you share some resources for the common issues you mentioned? ( thermostat/water pump, timing chain cover leaks, PCV, etc ) I'm just starting the research so I don't know about these issues.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
A few things, finding a 3.0T C6 avant (2009-2011) isn't the easiest thing in the world. Since you are looking at a decade old car, wear and tear and proper maintenance will be essential. Unless you have direct access to a lift and can pull a full VCDS, get yourself a PPI before purchasing. The RMS in the 3.0T isn't really a problem, however ensuring there are no leaks will be key. Also, make sure your suspension components are good, since bushings wear and will need replacement over time.

You should expect a certain level of oil consumption, but obviously look for extreme leaks or consumption. good luck
So true! They are markedly more rare than the sedans which appear to be a dime a dozen, but I've been keeping a close eye and have a couple candidates right now. Both have similar mileage (about 125k) and are both 2009's. For some reason they are priced about $3k apart - my concern at that point is the difference in wear/maintenance but they both appear to be very clean. I guess a PPI would be the final decision maker. I do have VCDS and am comfortable with it since I use it on the TT - I don't think I would have survived up to this point if I didn't have it

Lots of common ground here. I’ve had a Mk1 TT since 2003. Have a second one now. We had a C6 A6 sedan with the NA 3.2. drove it 80000 miles. I have an S5 with the 3.0 T . It is only at 37000 miles. Overall the A6 and the S5 were and are very trouble free. No engine issues ever on either. I did lose an ECU on the 2006 A6 at 78000 miles but lucked out and the emmisions warranty covered it. Never any oil consumption on any of our Audis. The valve cover has leaked on the 1.8T in the TT but never on the 3.2 or the 3.0T. If you can keep an 18 year old TT running properly you’ll likely do even better with a nine year old C6. Keep in mind though that it is more complex electronically and MMI issues are pretty common and expensive. Good luck on finding a nice Avant. Not too many sold here.
Glad to meet another TT owner! I've had my '01 for six years, currently has 193k miles. I do take pride in keeping it in daily-drive shape, it's not really a super complex car but the time-consuming nature of some services really seems to scare people away from them.

Really reassuring to hear about your good experiences with your A6s. The MMI weaknesses are unfortunate but overall those things are at the bottom of my list of worries. Glad that the cars are pretty solid overall!

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm looking at a 2009 Avant with the 3.0T. Can you share some resources for the common issues you mentioned? ( thermostat/water pump, timing chain cover leaks, PCV, etc ) I'm just starting the research so I don't know about these issues.
Just some quick Googling/forum searching on reliability will turn up results on these issues. The cooling service is a known issue on the 3.0T and was the subject of a recall early on to replace the thermostat in particular. There is a revised part that all cars should have now but it's still a maintenance item at a certain point.

The PCV/oil consumption thing is probably the biggest unknown when purchasing a high-mile 3.0T. The PCV system is known to be problematic and clog on this motor and has caused some drivers to see exorbitant oil consumption. Audi apparently put out a TSB to update the ECU software to fix this along with replacing the offending valve but the results seem inconclusive at best. Some consumption is to be expected but 1qt/1000mi is within the "acceptable" rate of consumption.

Timing chain covers are not quite as common but since they are only sealed to the motor with RTV the seals will degrade with time and eventually leak. The service is apparently a DIY for when it does happen. Oil leaks from the valve covers are also common and have been well-reported.