A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Question: How good is the A6 Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: How good is the A6 Bose sound system?

I've driven an A6 with the Bose sound system and an Acura TL with their proprietary ELS surround sound. I think the TL was better, but part of that may have been due to the TL dealer focusing somewhat on the sound system.

I've never been a big fan of Bose gear--they've never sounded particularly natural to my ears. Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of noise-cancelling technonolgy, which is part of the A6 Bose package. I've tried several pair of noise-cancelling headphones and I'm not impressed. I'd rather turn up the volume.

Has anyone spent much time experimenting with the Bose? What do you think?<ul><li><a href="http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/a6sound.htm">Only review of A6 Bose sound system that I've found so far</a></li></ul>
Old 01-14-2005, 03:51 PM

Default I can tell you that it is excellent.

I have a Peter Gabriel Live concert CD that I play all the time when I demo the sound on the A6.
I make sure that the DSP Surround sound is on, and the sound coming out is just incredible.
Just like the article says, you get sound even where there is no speakers!!!
The Surround also works for the Satellite radio.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

better than A4 bose?
Old 01-14-2005, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Alex is right on...cd's and satellite radio are processed in surround mode...

but you can also select individual surround centering on either the driver, right side passenger, front seats, rear seats, or normal surround giving all five seats a central soundpoint. It's really awesome to listen to your favorite digital recording centered on the driver's seat! Try the jazz channels on Sirius(XM) if demo-ing the system. They're probably the closest to listening to a cd in your home surround system.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:00 PM

Default There's almost no bass!

Been driving a 4.2 C6 A6 (with the premium Bose audio) for about a month now and despite playing around with all the MMI settings, the low end is very weak. Even with the bass control at max, it's nowhere near what is was on my last C5 A6.

Anyone else notice this? I mentioned this to my dealer and they will check it out at the first scheduled service.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The hat shelf speakers don't look 6.5"
Old 01-15-2005, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would have to say the exact opposite

My C5 Bose system was nice in my opinion but this system is at least 3 steps above that in sound quality.

Listening to mostly 70's and 80's rock from Original CDs I find the base to be more than ample. I can turn the volume to a point that is unpleasent to me but the sound is still clear.

I would have to say that the Mark Levison System in the Lexus does provide more clarity, but the Audi Bose system more than makes up for that in shear quality at high volumes.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default I'm happy with mine

Bass is strong. Get yours checked out.
BTW I was surprised to see no mid range control.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:57 AM

Oh yeah!!!
Old 01-15-2005, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Its good, but...

IMHO its not as good as the system in the new Acura RL. The low end is weak and the surround is somewhat superficial. However, its the best that Audi has every offered in the A6 (or A4) and as good as anything from Mercedes.

Quick Reply: Question: How good is the A6 Bose sound system?