A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

It rains and the floor carpet gets wet. Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unsuccessful clearing sunroof drain

I have watched the videos and attempted the copper wire and weed whacker line to no avail. I have confirmed that the front drains are plugged on my 2007 A6. I'm guessing its a combination of grease from the track assembly and dirt making a nice little plug. The weed whacker line is not strong enough to push through. I am hesitant to put too much force on the copper wire. My question is, is there a junction on the front drains like there (appears to be) is on the rear drain? I can't find a schematic of the tubing and I don't want to take it all apart if I don't have to. If it is a single piece of tubing all the way to just above the lower door hinge, I should be ok to put a bit more force with the copper wire. The plug appears to be about 12" up from the bottom exit point just above the hinge. When using the weed whacker line, it seems to go down almost 3 feet. It would be helpful to know what the schematic looks like. Should I just push through? Any other suggestions? Also, the drain that is under the Windshield Wiper catch tray, my hose is missing entirely, so my leak could be dual sourced. I watched a video on this too, about taking off the wipers and cover. If i take it apart, will I find the drain hole pretty easy to put a piece of tubing in to replace the one that is missing? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by beep-beep
A6 has plenum chamber under the windshield with own drains. Water flows down the windshield into the chamber. If drains are clogged the water will eventually go into the fresh air ducts and into the front footwells.
You need to clean the plenum chamber drains:
Take off the plastic cover of the chamber.
Take off the wiper arms with gear pulley and then the wiper motor cover.
you will be able to locate two drains in the bottom of the chamber. I cleaned them with a long screwdriver, but compressed air would work as well. The difficult part is to locate the drains.
there is a video on youtube about locating the drains.

You might want to remove leaves and debris from the chamber using a vacuum. You also might need to check the Bluetooth module in the driver footwell. water can start sipping into the plastic box and shortcircuit the module. Hopefully, this would not result in an electric fire.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion_1011
It's also possible that the drain holes in the frame are clogged. At around 170k miles I had the floorboard fill with water. Water that drains behind the hood/in front of the windshield goes down through some frame channels. The dealership said the interior coating of the drain channels breaks down over time and clogs the drain holes on the bottom of the car. Instead of draining it ends up flooding the cabin. They had to remove the plastic panels on the bottom of the car and clear them out.
This is what is happening. You need to get under the car and pull the plastic shield off and then clean up the outer drain bungs in the floor. Your car's unibody cavities are full of water. The water is somehow getting into it from the cowl drains.

You can also find the unibody drains if you pull up the rear carpet. Yank out the rear seat and pull up the carpet a bit. I have a feeling that you will find a few gallons of water. Pull the floor plug that is under the carpet and then shove your same piece of weedwacker string through the outer drain bung below. An '06 has a wire chase that runs along the door that is deeper than the rest of the floor. Assuming an '07 is the same you will need to get that dried out also.