A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Rear Camera Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Camera Question

I just got delivery of an aftermarket Chinese rear view camera that I picked up on Ebay.

There are 2 white wires that I can't figure out what to do with and there is no documentation about their function in the instructions I received.

Does anyone have any idea what they might be for?

The only thing I can think of is that they possibly turn off the guide lines functionality, but that is a guess based upon some info that I saw other cameras have that ability.

Thanks in advance.

This is the unit I bought.

These are the white wires that I do not know what to do with.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps they are a power and ground in case you dont have the adapter plug? Youd have to strip it back and see what they splice into. I'd go ahead and hook it up and see if it works as intended and if not worry about them. Perhaps they are for the reverse gear signal or maybe steering signal to make the lines move with the steering wheel like in some of the newer cars. Really hard to guess though.
my car has a trunk release in the handle perhaps they're for the trunk release button
Old 09-28-2018, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got a reply back from the seller. It is in fact for the parking lines.

To disable them I need to connect the 2 together.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffpuxx
I got a reply back from the seller. It is in fact for the parking lines.

To disable them I need to connect the 2 together.

Thanks.
so do they attach to a steering angle sensor like i thought?
can you send me a link to the seller... I saw it in another thread now I cant find it. I want one.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tim Baker
so do they attach to a steering angle sensor like i thought?
can you send me a link to the seller... I saw it in another thread now I cant find it. I want one.
i believe this is the thread where I heard about it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/ami-suitable-2958284/

I don't believe there is a steering angle sensor. I was able to wire the camera up and connect it to my TV to test it.

Although I do like the u it and feel it is well made and will install cleanly I am not sure how well the camera is going to do in low light.

I am going to buy one of the cameras that takes the place of a license plate lamp and will test when installing.

Last edited by jeffpuxx; 09-29-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Lef out link
Old 10-01-2018, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not hook up the Chinese unit and see what happens? Why spend the money on another camera when the one you have may work just fine?
Old 10-01-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I currently live in NYC and garage time is limited, so if I am going to do something that requires disassembly and reassembly I only want to have to do it once so if I have it apart I would like the option to see how another camera might perform.

I did hook up the Chinese unit in my home and was very impressed with the picture in good lighting but the low light performance was not great although I did not factor in the light that would be thrown by the reverse lights.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also get brighter LED reverse lights from the forum sponsor.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered all the pieces mentioned to do this upgrade. Will report as to the outcome once done.
Question: How are you guys running the wiring from the camera to the interface, up the passenger side under the carpet, or are you going right up the middle?

Last edited by Sharkwood; 10-04-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tried to install the camera in my 2006 A6 Avant and hit a snag.

When I ordered the unit there were 2 styles - one for an A6 and one for a Q7 with the difference being where the slot for the switch is.

I ordered the one for the A6 and I believe that is the one that I received -- But I think that the Avant may need to Q7 one.

In the picture you can see the new unit with the camera next to my factory handle. They are actually the same size but the unit with
the camera is propped up.

With the unit out it looks like I should be able to drill a hole where the red mark is and use a surface mounted camera instead.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Rear Camera Question