A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Rear Camera Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkwood
I ordered all the pieces mentioned to do this upgrade. Will report as to the outcome once done.
Question: How are you guys running the wiring from the camera to the interface, up the passenger side under the carpet, or are you going right up the middle?
Also wondering what the best route is, roof or carpet?
Old 10-07-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not get to that part yet.

I am hoping somone with more experience will chime in with the best path to run the video cable.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by metalhead_79
Also wondering what the best route is, roof or carpet?
Right side of the frame, Under the plastic step plates. Plenty of room. Just don't forget to filter the power.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have an ami unit in the glove box in which i have a bluetooth dongle connected to, do you mean i plug this rearview camera module to that? and if yes do i have to run any other cable from the trunk to the front other than the camera yellow wire?

Last edited by Titua1915; 10-12-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Attached is what I believe to be a PDF version of the manual that I received. The unit doers not in any way shape or form resemble the unit I received,

BUT

It does give some insight in to what to look for once I get the glovebox out.on the 5th page although I believe the picture is from a Q7 and not an A6
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Instruction_manual_VNS.pdf (4.18 MB, 63 views)
Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, quick question when i mount the camera in the back

do i tap it to the reverse light bulb power and ground? Or acc power and ground?

do i have tu run a wire from the reverse light bulb to the front glovebox to power the camera module?

where do i tap the power inline filter? Directly to reverse light bulb wiring? Or in the front my the module?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Titua1915
Thanks, quick question when i mount the camera in the back

do i tap it to the reverse light bulb power and ground? Or acc power and ground?

Reverse light for power and any ground. Since this is powering the camera you want good clean power. I suggest using the filter, though this end isn't as important as the power in the front.
So one end of the filter to the power that makes your backup light come on (I just pulled my passenger side taillight to find the wire. You can use a meter or light tester to find it and then can use a t-tap for power or solder to that wire)
The other end of the filter goes to the camera wire and the power wire that is in the RCA cable to bring the video to the front of the car and the grounds all go together to a good ground.

do i have tu run a wire from the reverse light bulb to the front glovebox to power the camera module?

The Camera Video wire will have a Power wire bundled with it. This gets laid under the passenger side door trim to the front where it will plug into the backup camera module. I had to use a fiberglass rod (made for pushing wire) to get that wire around the back seat to the rear quarter panel. That was probably the toughest part of this whole thing. Take your time... it will go through. Then lay the wire under the door sill and snap the plastics back over and you will be set.

where do i tap the power inline filter? Directly to reverse light bulb wiring? Or in the front my the module?
So the camera only gets turned on when you are in reverse. I didn't draw the power filters, but they are straight forward, dirty power in, clean power out, with a common ground.
My crude drawing:

Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

how many power filters? just one? and where in the picture does it goes?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Titua1915
how many power filters? just one? and where in the picture does it goes?
Anywhere you tap power, You will want clean power, especially when it comes to video. One in the back off the backup light where it powers the camera and feeds the SENSE wire to the camera module under the dash.

And a 2nd unit up from at the unit.

I used 2 of these: PAC CSS12 Passive Noise Filter
Old 10-15-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does the front unit (rear view module) gets its own power from the mmi? or does it get power from reverse light bulb? and if it gets it from light bulb does it get wired to constant?

Quick Reply: Rear Camera Question