A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement

Today I changed my rear wiper motor as it had stopped working (I'd noticed it was slowing down over a few weeks then it stopped entirely). I took a few pics and thought I'd describe it here.

First the trim around the base of the rear wiper arm pulls off. No particular trick to this, just pry it off with finger pressure.
Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2422.jpg
Then there is a small plastic part with the washer nozzles to take off, again, easily done with light finger pressure.
Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2421.jpg
Now remove the 13mm nut with a socket
Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2420.jpg
now use a wiper puller to remove the wiper arm. And open tailgate then in the hazard triangle compartment there are 6 torx T25 screws to be removed.

4 in a line along the lower edge of the tailgate and 2 just above the emergency triangle itself.
Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2426.jpg
Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2424.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2426.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	776.0 KB
ID:	93074
Now get brave and grab the plastic trim and pull it off. Best prepare some means of support and be prepared to take the weight of the trim panel as it comes loose. The reason is the electrical connections to the two interior lights and (if the car has it) the button for electric tailgate close. I used some large boxes which allowed me to rest the trim without the weight being on the cables, long enough to disconnect the connectors and remove the whole trim.

Now disconnect the connector and washer fluid pipe from the motor. They come off easily (just slide the black clip aside to release the washer pipe).

And the motor can can be removed with 3 x 10mm nuts. Here's the old failed motor next to the new one. I guess when I take the motor apart I'll find corrosion inside from the washer fluid.

Reassembly wasnt so bad, again using a means of support so the electrical connectors can be plugged in without straining the cables. When refitting the wiper arm don't tighten the 13mm nut too much until you test the wiper operation as chances are you'll need to slacken off the nut again and reposition the wiper arm to get it to park in the right spot.
Attached Thumbnails Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2412.jpg   Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2413.jpg   Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2415.jpg   Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2416.jpg   Rear wiper arm removal and wiper motor replacement-img_2427.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
SwiftOtron (12-15-2022)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Nice post. Thanks. BTW, did you update the washer fluid supply hose per TSB #92-06-01 while you had the assembly apart? The hose upgrade prevents the hose from leaking fluid onto the electronics in the left rear side compartment.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Gary, I didn't perform that tsb because I didn't know about it, but wondering now whether I should go back in there and do it. It's no big problem to get that panel off and back on after all. But where do the parts come from - I suppose audi dealer will sell them at vast expense, but maybe I can get much more cheaply on eBay. Is this even something I can get the dealer to do for me for free, if I can stand the inconvenience of taking the car to them? On second thoughts probably easier if I just find some tubing and connectors and do it myself.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

@Sverige Yes thanks for an excellent post.Of course I hope that I don't ever have to come here for my own, but if ever, there it is.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Guys, thanks for this one. My motor jammed mid-stroke this week and I follow Sverige's instructions. I departed in that rather than replace the motor I cleaned and relubricated things. The big issue is the metal arm that connects the plastic gear wheel to the wiper axel. Degreased, cleaned with wire brush and soaked in CLR. Then i washed and soaked in denatured alcohol and finally reassembled and degreased everything.

Probably more time than it was worth, but it all works and is much quieter now.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good info, thanks Das. I still have the old motor I took off, so maybe I should follow your lead and recondition it ready for when the current one seizes up? What is CLR by the way?
Old 05-08-2020, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Calcium, Lime and Rust remover, I assume it is a mild acid of some form. The problem with mine was the metal arm that changes the circular motor motion to the wiper arm. Rusted to the point of not working.