A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Reliability Of Audi A6 2006 3.2L

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability Of Audi A6 2006 3.2L

im trying to help my dad out here
we found a audi a6 2006 3.2L for a pretty good deal
the car looks VERY good. no chips because from arizona. mileage about 19,000km. very very well kept
it all looks good and drives well..... our only problem is reliability
how will this car run 4-5 years down the road???

i've herd from people who had there audi's for a while like 2000's and 2001's. that fixing this thing is a bitch. main problem is leaking gasket. and i've herd possible electronic problems
but this was a while ago...... wonder if things have changed with audi.

this car is still under warrenty with 2 years left.

if there are problems that come up what could they be????

thanks guys
Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 PM

I just returned a leased 2005 C6 3.2 Q after 24mo and 34k miles,no problems at all.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had 05 3.2 and did not have a single problem. ever.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Reliability Of Audi A6 2006 3.2L

I had a '05 A6 4.2 and had zero problems over 17 months and 15,000 miles. I also had a '01 A6 2.7T that I put 94,000 miles on with no problems. The '03 A6 had some minor electrical glitches. The '01 allroad I had did have some problems but mostly related to the air suspension. If your dad intends on keeping the car after the factory warranty runs out, I would seriously consider extra warranty coverage. Just like any other insurance, you may not need it, but if you do, you will glad you have it.

current-'07 S6 phantom black/black, Tech package, solar sunroof, window shades, carbon fiber inlays, 15% carbon fiber tint
-'07 Mecerdes ML63 AMG Obsidan black/black
-'07 Honda Accord V6 w/Navi black/black
-'86 BMW M6 black

former- '01 A6 2.7T manual, sport, navi
- '01 Allroad
- '03 A6 2.7T manual
- '05 A6 4.2 S-line black/black
Old 04-16-2007, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 34K on an '05, changed the tires. . .

If this is from a dealer it should be CPO'd. If not and it still has transferable factory warranty, you should be able to get it CPO'd.

This means the protection is extended to 100K miles (not KM, I said MILES.)

The time is 6 years from day one -- not your day one.

The cost if you pay for this would be about $1250. You may be able to wait until closer to 50K miles -- ask, don't trust my say so.

The thing is, I have had 28 Audis. They have not all been trouble free. They have been mostly pretty good to very good in fact.

I would tell you that all cars are very expensive to repair outside of the warranty period -- Audis are breathtakingly expensive. The CPO-ing may be not worth paying for.

One hiccup after 50K miles could blow through $1,000 though.

The current gen A6 seems damn near perfect. The annoying problem for me was the early repeated replacement of the push-button starter. At 34K the brakes are about 50% gone (the rotors, so says the dealer, do not have to be replaced with the pads -- ONCE. BMW requires a replacement of both at the same time.

The Audi engines and transmissions have never been an issue -- the 3.2 + 6speed auto trans, seem flawless from a reliability perspective.

None of our replies here are statistically worth a damn, by the way.

Funny, if all of us had horror stories I would lend credence to them, though. The good news is we are all mostly telling you the current gen A6 is well made and we believe will be durable and reliable.

I am keen to know what you do, after all of our opinions.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:42 PM

thanks you guys for the help

its looking good though i can tell you that. i'll let you know hwat the final result is after i talk to my daddy haha i personally love audi's. its either the 5 series or this. but audi's are wayyy hotter.

i actually live in canada and the dude brought it up from there. he's probably trying to make a profit even though he says he's not :P (i hope he's not on these boards haha)

the price he wants is 48,000CAD or 42,000USD
Old 04-16-2007, 08:54 PM

42,000?..sounds a little much to me for a '06 3.2..it better be super loaded...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Have 06 3.2 Fronttrak. Although no "major" problems....

I'm just getting a little tired of all these little "gremlin" problems that keep popping up. Then when I make an appointment to get it fixed, whaalaaaa!!! It disappears!! I'd make sure that you have good referrals from Audi owners in your area about the Service Department. It seems to very WIDELY around the country. Some of my little issues are:
1. Engine stuttering & stalling on cold start
2. Car just cut off in the middle of the intersection
3. Stereo decided to play on just the drivers side for 1 trip & then decided to play through all speakers an hour later.
4. Brake feel is super soft
5. When you step on the gas at a dead stop it tends to "think about it first".
6. In reverse the car tends to "slip out of gear" like having a manual transmission but it's an automatic.

All in all I'm a little cautious about crossing railroad tracks because if I do I might stall & when I do start the car up it may think about it too long then BLAAAAAAAM!!! All this from a car with only 10,000 miles on it. And of course Audi Service can't fix it because if it doesn't appear on the VAG then it surely doesn't exist right? Don't bother turning on the car & driving it for a mile or two.

I know it seems like I hate this car but I don't I actually love it. I love the looks, I love that you don't see 10 of them by the time you get to a grocery store & when it's on the freeway it drives just perfectly!!

But when you pay this much money for a German car you shouldn't get Chevy problems (no offense to the Chevy guys).
Old 04-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 35K on my 2005 C6 3.2 Q, no major problems....

We purchased ours as a CPO from a local dealer. Have been extremely satisfied with all aspects of the vehicle. Comfort, performance, fit & finish are the best as far as I'm concerned. To be fair we have had a few minor issues that were resolved promptly by the dealer. Good Luck,
Old 04-17-2007, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Need better info, I'm working on it

I suspect that reliability is better than many people think it is. Forums like this one can make problems seem much more common than they actually are.

So can the results in CR. For 2006 models, the difference between one dot and another is only about 0.03 problems per car (i.e. about one problem per 30 cars). I don't think many people realize this.

I'm working on clearer reliability information at TrueDelta. Not collecting data on the 2006 or 2007 A6 yet because too few owners are signed up. But I have started collecting data on some years of the C5.<ul><li><a href="http://www.truedelta.com/reliability.php">Vehicle reliability research - need more Audis</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Reliability Of Audi A6 2006 3.2L