A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replace Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Replace Spark Plugs?

Hello all,
Car is 2006 A6 3.2 with 111,000. I have only owned the car for a few months. Looked at Carfax and saw that PO had 55K service done at a certain dealership. I called the dealership and they said the plugs were changed at 54K. So that would mean that IF the plugs were actually changed that these plugs would have 57K on them (due for a change) Decided to pull 2 plugs the other day to see what they looked like. I have no real symptoms other than the normal start up rough idle with a few misfires during startup until the idle comes down. It has a very slightly noticeable idle at stop light while in gear. I'm probably being very picky on that considering the car is 12 years old. Anyway, how do these plugs look? I think they look bad. They are Bosch FGR7KQE0. I can't seem to find them anywhere on several sites I have been looking on. Anyone know where I can get there? I keep seeing everyone say to get NGK such as NGKPFR7W-TG. I am a middle of the road kind of guy. I don' t need top of the line parts. But I don't want junk either. Something that is good (not necessarily the BEST) suites me just fine. Are the NGKs that much better than the Bosch? Because I know the NGKs are probably twice the cost. Thanks as always.

The pics below are of 2 different plugs (2 pics of each plug)

Old 05-07-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Correction.....I did find the Bosch that I posted above. Found them on RockAuto for only $4.23 each (approx $25 Total plus shipping). That’s REALLY cheap. The NGK that I posted above are on Amazon for $60 (free shipping). I think that’s a really good price because reading through old posts on here I people paying $14 per plug ($84) for the NGKs several years ago. But I also remember recently seeing another type of NGK that was around $114 for 6 on another site (can’t remember where). I think they were Iridium. My question is....are the NGKs really that much better than the Bosch to pay 3 to 4 times more than the Bosch?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After you factor in shipping there is really only a $30.00 difference between the NGK and the Bosch which in the long run is a wash due to the life expectancy of the plugs.

I don't know enough about the differences in spark plugs, but many people seem to be happy with the NGK plugs and I am pretty sure that is what Audi chose to put on the car wen it was new.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 276 Posts

Your spark plug looks fine except the oil presence which should worry you. Some seals or gaskets might need replacement. I had the same ones in my car when I did the 55k service more than 2 years ago.
I installed NGKs and I've been fine since. The Bosch ones in the car did not have any issues though. But I replaced everything just to be on the safe side.
Here is what mine looked like. Yours looks like new compared to that.

Left: NGK. Right: Bosch

Referenced thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...moval-2895182/
Old 05-08-2018, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Old 05-08-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
Your spark plug looks fine except the oil presence which should worry you. Some seals or gaskets might need replacement. I had the same ones in my car when I did the 55k service more than 2 years ago.
I installed NGKs and I've been fine since. The Bosch ones in the car did not have any issues though. But I replaced everything just to be on the safe side.

Wow. Thanks. Yeah, your Bosch looks absolutely trashed. Were you having poor performance with those? I would ask if you noticed a performance boost after installing the NGKs but you had no choice but to feel an improvement based on the way those Bosch looked. I think I will get the NGKs.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko

Also, I noticed that it didn't take much effort to remove the plug which was slightly odd. I put the 2 back in much tighter than what they were in there. I know it's aluminum so I was careful not to put them in too tight. Them being loose would not cause the oil to be on the threads would it? You are referring to the oil on the threads right? Or maybe oil is leaking down from the valve covers and getting down to the threads on the plugs?? I actually thought they were supposed to have a little oil on them. No?
Old 05-08-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Hello Uberwgn,
What are you saying? That I should get these? These are the exact ones that are only $60 on Amazon right now. Based on the condition of my plugs do you think I should get these or am I just wasting money? I don't have any real symptoms that makes me think I need them. I'm just trying to keep up with the PM. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by akingzkid
Wow. Thanks. Yeah, your Bosch looks absolutely trashed. Were you having poor performance with those? I would ask if you noticed a performance boost after installing the NGKs but you had no choice but to feel an improvement based on the way those Bosch looked. I think I will get the NGKs.
No, I did not notice any difference in performance. But going ahead and replacing your spark plugs will for sure help you determine whether they are the cause of your misfires or not.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by akingzkid
Also, I noticed that it didn't take much effort to remove the plug which was slightly odd. I put the 2 back in much tighter than what they were in there. I know it's aluminum so I was careful not to put them in too tight. Them being loose would not cause the oil to be on the threads would it? You are referring to the oil on the threads right? Or maybe oil is leaking down from the valve covers and getting down to the threads on the plugs?? I actually thought they were supposed to have a little oil on them. No?
I don't think a loose spark plug would cause oil to be on the threads and I don't think they are supposed to have oil on them. But the oil could have come from somewhere else than the engine. Someone could have spilled some on top of the engine which would result in the presence of oil on some of the spark plugs. I'd suggest you do some cleaning in there, install new spark plugs, drive the car for a while and check again.

Quick Reply: Replace Spark Plugs?