A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replace Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
No, I did not notice any difference in performance. But going ahead and replacing your spark plugs will for sure help you determine whether they are the cause of your misfires or not.
ok. Gotcha. I appreciate it. I will get to it but I have a few other things that I want to give attention (and money) to first. (i.e. Control arms, tires, power steering pump).
Old 05-09-2018, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think a loose spark plug would cause oil to be on the threads and I don't think they are supposed to have oil on them. But the oil could have come from somewhere else than the engine. Someone could have spilled some on top of the engine which would result in the presence of oil on some of the spark plugs. I'd suggest you do some cleaning in there, install new spark plugs, drive the car for a while and check again.
Thanks.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
I have a few other things that I want to give attention (and money) to first. (i.e. Control arms, tires, power steering pump).
Okay.

About the Control Arms, one component that almost made me replace all of them is the sway bar links. Start with those only unless you are sure other components are failing. I've been driving mostly offroad for almost 3 years and the other components are still just fine. I still have the whole OEM suspension kit brand new in its box since 2 years. Either I'm a cautious driver, or these things are very well made.

About the Power Steering Pump, I don't know what's wrong but I'd suggest you check the level of your fluid, and top it off if necessary first. Second I would flush the fluid and if the issues persist you may consider replacing the pump. That reservoir can be a PITA to open though. I had a loud pump at some point. I topped off the fluid and the noise stopped.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Okay.

About the Control Arms, one component that almost made me replace all of them is the sway bar links. Start with those only unless you are sure other components are failing. I've been driving mostly offroad for almost 3 years and the other components are still just fine. I still have the whole OEM suspension kit brand new in its box since 2 years. Either I'm a cautious driver, or these things are very well made.

About the Power Steering Pump, I don't know what's wrong but I'd suggest you check the level of your fluid, and top it off if necessary first. Second I would flush the fluid and if the issues persist you may consider replacing the pump. That reservoir can be a PITA to open though. I had a loud pump at some point. I topped off the fluid and the noise stopped.
Thanks for the good advice. When I got the car I was told by the dealership (as a condition of the purchase) that the "upper links" were bad. I didn't know what that was and had a hard time figuring it out. I asked in this forum and was told that they are the same thing as control arms. I have inspected them and the bushings don't look too bad. Maybe a very slight are where it looks like the rubber is separating from the metal on one or two of them. The issue that I am having that makes me think that I need to replace either them or the "C" shaped thing that I have posted a picture of below. That is the sway bar link right? They have some separation in the rubber from the metal as well. Either the control arms or the sway bar links, or both, I think are the culprits of the wear on the outer edge of my front tires. They are pretty worn but the rest of the tire is not. I don't think it's an alignment (but it could be). I need front tires but want to solve this before I put them on and they start wearing poorly. Your thoughts?

As far as the power steering pump, it makes the humming sound from time to time especially if you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right. The fluid is full and I don't believe it is in poor condition. It could probably be changed just to be on the safe side. But the dealership also told me when I bought the car that it needed to be changed. Maybe they are basing it on it leaking fluid. I have had to add half a bottle of fluid to it shortly after I got the car but it has been retaining the fluid as far as I can tell in the 3 months I have had the car. I can't really tell if/how bad it's leaking because I can't really get down there to inspect the pump without putting the car in the service position and I have not done that. There is plenty of fluid on the bottom of the engine and the plastic belly pan with the foam padding is covered in oil. So, that could be engine oil and power steering fluid. Ugh!! :-)

Thanks for always giving your thoughts. I appreciate it.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh okay! If the dealership had the car inspected and came down to these conclusions, I have nothing more to say.
I think you can see if your power steering pump is leaking from the bottom of the car.
Pause this video at 0:22 and you can see the power steering pump on the left side of the red arrow, right on top of the AC compressor.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh okay! If the dealership had the car inspected and came down to these conclusions, I have nothing more to say.
I think you can see if your power steering pump is leaking from the bottom of the car.
Pause this video at 0:22 and you can see the power steering pump on the left side of the red arrow, right on top of the AC compressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrTJJ5daiWU

Kelisko,
Thanks for the video link. It's hard to tell where all the oil is coming from. I will need to figure it out one day. I washed the plastic underbelly pan and the under part of the engine yesterday.

Can you read my post again and answer the question I have about the sway bar links? Should I start with them and then the control arms later if I notice uneven wear? Thanks as always.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by akingzkid
The issue that I am having that makes me think that I need to replace either them or the "C" shaped thing that I have posted a picture of below. That is the sway bar link right? They have some separation in the rubber from the metal as well. Either the control arms or the sway bar links, or both, I think are the culprits of the wear on the outer edge of my front tires. They are pretty worn but the rest of the tire is not. I don't think it's an alignment (but it could be). I need front tires but want to solve this before I put them on and they start wearing poorly. Your thoughts?
Yes, the C shaped thing is a sway bar link. To be honest, I am not sure what could cause the wear on the outer edge of your front tires. If the vehicle drives well without clunking noises I don't thing you should bother replacing any suspension component yet. I would start with having the alignment checked.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, the C shaped thing is a sway bar link. To be honest, I am not sure what could cause the wear on the outer edge of your front tires. If the vehicle drives well without clunking noises I don't thing you should bother replacing any suspension component yet. I would start with having the alignment checked.
Good advice. No clunking and it drives very well. So, I will get the alignment checked. Just not sure why the dealership told me when I purchased the car that I needed new "upper links" on both sides. I have since found out that upper links are upper control arms. I just can't see anything obvious that is jumping out at me that would indicate that these are bad. The rubber bushings look relatively good and intact. Maybe those are also contributing to the tire wear. I don't know what symptoms the car would be exhibiting if they are bad (loose steering, clunking, tire wear,etc). Ugh.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, regarding "upper links"... those are called upper control arms and I have replaced 100s of them, not for rubber part of it but for ball joints getting free play...lift the side up and push/pull the wheel in and out and you will see if there is any play.. Play in those 2 joints will get its toe in/out off, in your case your wheel will pull to the outside...causing outside edge of your time wear out...
Sway bar links keep your wheels down to the ground when turning, they will do its job even with bad rubber, they will be just noisy..sorry Im in rush I just wanted to get you heads up..later I will have more time..

Last edited by Nurke; 05-15-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nurke
Hi, regarding "upper links"... those are called upper control arms and I have replaced 100s of them, not for rubber part of it but for ball joints getting free play...lift the side up and push/pull the wheel in and out and you will see if there is any play.. Play in those 2 joints will get its toe in/out off, in your case your wheel will pull to the outside...causing outside edge of your time wear out...
Sway bar links keep your wheels down to the ground when turning, they will do its job even with bad rubber, they will be just noisy..sorry Im in rush I just wanted to get you heads up..later I will have more time..
Great info. I will jack each side up and see if there is play in the ball joints on the control arms. I hope there is so I know what is causing the tire wear on the outer edges. If there is play I will replace them and get an alignment. If there is no play, I will go and get an alignment check. Thanks.

Sorry I turned this post into suspension instead of the original Spark Plugs topic.

Quick Reply: Replace Spark Plugs?