A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replaced my worn snub mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That’s good to hear Mr octo. I might try mine soon.

once you had removed both halves of the bracket from the car was it easy to separate them, get rid of the old rubber mount and then join them back together with the new mount in place, or just you need to use a vice or similar to clamp it all together before refitting.?

Last edited by Sverige; 02-24-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It came out very easy if you remove both halves at the same time. But I would mark the position of the half attached to the front frame before removing. So you can put it back where it should be. Re-installing both halves at the same time, it will give enough room to put them back. But it will be tight.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome, thanks. But I meant was it easy to separate the two bracket halves once they were out of the car, and was it easy to sandwich them together again with the new mount installed, or did you need to employ a vice to get them compressed enough to reinstall?
Old 03-01-2019, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Sverige
Awesome, thanks. But I meant was it easy to separate the two bracket halves once they were out of the car, and was it easy to sandwich them together again with the new mount installed, or did you need to employ a vice to get them compressed enough to reinstall?
There's enough room around the snub mount. It's supposed to move up and down, left and right in the dish as the engine moves. So separating the two and putting them together is no deal at all.
The real deal is to find the right angle to pull them out of the engine bay together then put them back in place.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. Will give it a go soon.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks. Will give it a go soon.
Svergie,
It is kinda tricky. When you finish, post here to let us know how it went. It’s gonna be frustrating but you will get it. Not sure how the guy above did it with the parts together when he was putting them back in. He makes it sound simple. I wish I could say the same. I’m sure I tried his method but that didn’t work for me. Good luck buddy.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I’m just in the middle of changing my snub mount and I’ve hit a moment of doubt. I don’t know if the new mount fits correctly - it is basically loose in the horizontal direction and only snug in the vertical.

What I mean is, with the front half of the bracket fitted to the back of the front fender assembly, and with the new snub mount fitted to the part of the bracket which is to be bolted to the front of the engine, there is free play horizontally. Is that right? Maybe I have completely misunderstood the purpose of this snub mount but I thought it was meant to limit (prevent) lateral movement of the front of the engine, not vertical?

It is possible my new snub mount is the wrong size, but it looked the same as the one I took off. Unfortunately I don’t have the original part available to try in its place, as I cut it off with a knife (was stuck fast to the bracket). Any tips gratefully received!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I’m just in the middle of changing my snub mount and I’ve hit a moment of doubt. I don’t know if the new mount fits correctly - it is basically loose in the horizontal direction and only snug in the vertical.

What I mean is, with the front half of the bracket fitted to the back of the front fender assembly, and with the new snub mount fitted to the part of the bracket which is to be bolted to the front of the engine, there is free play horizontally. Is that right? Maybe I have completely misunderstood the purpose of this snub mount but I thought it was meant to limit (prevent) lateral movement of the front of the engine, not vertical?

It is possible my new snub mount is the wrong size, but it looked the same as the one I took off. Unfortunately I don’t have the original part available to try in its place, as I cut it off with a knife (was stuck fast to the bracket). Any tips gratefully received!
Sverige,
I am no expert by far but I think the way you have it is correct. Mine fit more snug vertically (still had about 1/4 or so of space) and has a bunch of space left and right (laterally....on the sides). I think (again, not an expert) that it is supposed to limit vertical (up and down) movement.

Let’s see what others say. Not that you have the time to wait though.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - good to have that reassurance. I think I just assumed these things were meant to be a snug fit with no free play anywhere. Car is up on ramps with the belly pan off until tomorrow as I’m doing an oil change and letting every last drip come out overnight, so not too late to revisit this tomorrow am.

no car jack under the sump was needed to level things up. In fact after removing the bolts from the rear portion of the mount it more or less fell out into my hands, so I left the front part of the mount attached to the car and after changing the rubber mount I was able to manoeuvre the rear part of the mount back into place and bolt it up. Overall a reasonably easy job. Hardest part was getting the bolts undone as they were super tight!
Old 03-30-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh wow. Yours went much smoother than mine did.

I just thought of something. Scroll all the way to the top and you can see how mine looked after I installed it. Look at the spacing.

Quick Reply: Replaced my worn snub mount