A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replaced my worn snub mount

Old 04-08-2018, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Replaced my worn snub mount

Was inspecting under my car and noticed my snub mount (had no clue what it was called but found out by looking on this forum) was totally corroded.
Ordered one for about $7 and replaced it. I went with one made by URO parts from Amazon. They called it a strut bump stop. It has made a huge difference!! I do still feel a small amount of engine movement when I am driving at a slow speed and then I let off the gas I can feel the engine go forward and make a small “bump”. But it is nothing like it was before replacing the snub mount. I didnt go with the ECS poly because I read somewhere that you should only put that one in if you drive very aggressively. I’m not sure why that would make a difference.

Relpacing it wasn’t too hard but a little frustrating. I did not remove the front bumper or put the car in the service position. The key was to jack the car up under the oil pan with a block of wood between the jack and the pan. I had to jack the engine pretty high to create enough space to get the new one in the hole. I was not sure how high I could Jack the engine before I would begin to hear things snap and break. Luckily I didn’t break anything. It was still really hard to force the new one into place. I really had to muscle it. Something weird that I notoced was the crack in the mount where the rubber fits. Not even sure how that’s possible unless the engine went that far forward when the original snub mount had totally corroded and had enough force to crack that thing.

Last edited by akingzkid; 04-08-2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 04-12-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doing mine this weekend , Finally warm weather is here !
Old 04-12-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting thread, thanks for posting. What was the reason for needing to raise the engine with a jack? The OP says it's to create space, but I'm having some trouble picturing it. Surely you remove the bolts and then take out both sides of the mount (i.e. The metal ball and socket) then replace the rubber mount outside the car and join the two pieces again, then offer up from underside of car and attach bolts front and back? Was it while reattaching the assembled mount in the sequence I mentioned that the engine needed to be jacked up?

sounds a bit scary jacking an engine up via the sump anyway. Glad it worked out ok.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
It has made a huge difference!! I do still feel a small amount of engine movement when I am driving at a slow speed and then I let off the gas I can feel the engine go forward and make a small “bump”. But it is nothing like it was before replacing the snub mount.

Way to go buddy! I also replaced mine about a year ago with one made locally out of a specific type of truck tire. It's there now "for life" lol. Drastic improvement in handling!!! No need to remove bumper. Only thing to remove is belly pan. It's easier when you remove both parts together: the nose (part attached to the engine) and the dish (part attached to the bumper). Piece of cake if done that way.

Besides the snub mount, there's this thing called throttle body. A dirty one is what could cause a jumping engine sensation as the valve that opens to let air into the engine has picked oil and dirt and is now heavy and is not opening gracefully. Cleaning it should get rid of that. But you don't absolutely have to do that, unless it's jumping too much. Haven't touched mine yet. Thinking about doing it soon on my much older 1997 C5 though. That one definitely needs cleaning.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

This seems like a no brainer. Such a cheap part and everyone who has done it says it's improved their car. I need to get myself into gear and do this job as I have the new mount here in my garage, I was just waiting for the next time I need to take off the belly pan for something else. I will also be replacing throttle body soon too.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sverige
Interesting thread, thanks for posting. What was the reason for needing to raise the engine with a jack? The OP says it's to create space, but I'm having some trouble picturing it. Surely you remove the bolts and then take out both sides of the mount (i.e. The metal ball and socket) then replace the rubber mount outside the car and join the two pieces again, then offer up from underside of car and attach bolts front and back? Was it while reattaching the assembled mount in the sequence I mentioned that the engine needed to be jacked up?

sounds a bit scary jacking an engine up via the sump anyway. Glad it worked out ok.
Sverige,
If you look at my pictures you will see that there is a portion where the rubber snub mount sits in. That part is concave and sits in a cavity. You will never get that thing back in there if you don't jack the engine up to create the space needed to get past the lower part of the engine. I tried it several ways (preassembling everything and trying to shove it in and putting that part on first and then trying to slip the rubber snub mount in there). It won't go unless the engine is jacked up. I got by with doing it that way but it still was no easy task and I had to really muscle it in and I'm no small/weak guy. No guarantee that you won't crack something if you do. Another way to do it is to remove the front bumper and place the car in "service" position. I have never done it but have heard it mentioned on this forum.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
Way to go buddy! I also replaced mine about a year ago with one made locally out of a specific type of truck tire. It's there now "for life" lol. Drastic improvement in handling!!! No need to remove bumper. Only thing to remove is belly pan. It's easier when you remove both parts together: the nose (part attached to the engine) and the dish (part attached to the bumper). Piece of cake if done that way.

Besides the snub mount, there's this thing called throttle body. A dirty one is what could cause a jumping engine sensation as the valve that opens to let air into the engine has picked oil and dirt and is now heavy and is not opening gracefully. Cleaning it should get rid of that. But you don't absolutely have to do that, unless it's jumping too much. Haven't touched mine yet. Thinking about doing it soon on my much older 1997 C5 though. That one definitely needs cleaning.
Seems that you are able to do lots of creative things with your truck tire rubber over there. I saw another one of your posts where you used it for the control arm bushings but that didn't work out too well. :-) Hopefully it will work for your snub mount. As far as the throttle body, I want to clean it for preventive maintenance but not sure I will see any improvement in performance. Definitely don't want to open that can of worms and mess something up. Don't think there is too much that I can mess up if I just spray cleaner in there. Unless I have to remove it to clean it???? Only issue I have is the same thing I have seen many people talk about and that is cold start up rough idling until the RPMs some down. Feels like a few small misfires also during this warm up period. After that, it's smooth running. Can fill just a little bit of rough idling when sitting at a traffic light in gear but not bad enough to be concerned.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by akingzkid
Sverige,
If you look at my pictures you will see that there is a portion where the rubber snub mount sits in. That part is concave and sits in a cavity. You will never get that thing back in there if you don't jack the engine up to create the space needed to get past the lower part of the engine. I tried it several ways (preassembling everything and trying to shove it in and putting that part on first and then trying to slip the rubber snub mount in there). It won't go unless the engine is jacked up. I got by with doing it that way but it still was no easy task and I had to really muscle it in and I'm no small/weak guy. No guarantee that you won't crack something if you do. Another way to do it is to remove the front bumper and place the car in "service" position. I have never done it but have heard it mentioned on this forum.
Ok cool, thanks. Guess I'll see it when attempting the job but at least I now have your solution up my sleeve and will use jack as needed.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sverige

Ok cool, thanks. Guess I'll see it when attempting the job but at least I now have your solution up my sleeve and will use jack as needed.
You will need the jack. LOL. Let me know how it goes.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the snub mount replaced in my 08 A6 3.2 today. The snub mount came out and back in relatively easy without jacking up the engine. Got the cheap snub mount (made in Germany) from FCP Euro for $5.59.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced my worn snub mount