AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Replacing drivers side door lock actuator (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/replacing-drivers-side-door-lock-actuator-2937535/)

andyb64 11-24-2017 09:33 AM

Replacing drivers side door lock actuator

Hi, I have a 2009 A6 Avant and need to replace the door lock actuator. Can anyone confirm whether you need to remove the handle and lock barrel before you can get the lock actuator mechanism out ?
Thanks in advance

91quattro 11-26-2017 07:29 AM

Haven't done this job on my S6 but I have replaced both front actuators (door latches), as well as both handles, on my A8, and it must be a fairly similar process. The latches did not require removal of the handle or barrel, just temporarily moving an aluminum rod that connects the handle to the latch. Remove door card, then remove door motors etc, then remove inner aluminum panel. You have to disconnect the window from the slide rail (two bolts that are behind two large rubber grommets) and keep it held near closed (I used a piece of duct tape wrapped over the top of the door window frame, and taped to each side of the window. That part is a little tricky. But once the inner panel is out, the latch can be removed fairly easily. First door took a little while due to learning curve, but second door took me about two hours.

I wrote up a DIY for the A8 that would probably be useful, I can post if there is any interest...

andyb64 11-27-2017 06:00 AM

Thanks for the reply, with a bit of help from Google and information on here I have successfully replaced the door lock actuator.

beep-beep 11-28-2017 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by andyb64 (Post 25072494)
Hi, I have a 2009 A6 Avant and need to replace the door lock actuator. Can anyone confirm whether you need to remove the handle and lock barrel before you can get the lock actuator mechanism out ?
Thanks in advance

just did it on my A3 (which supposed to have the same part numbers). I did not have to remove the lock cylinder and I did it without removing the glass panel with frame. But there is a trick the lock cylinder has a flexible plastic tongue 's turning a switch in the actuator. So you need to put the actuator in place and ensure that the lock cylinder is engadged with the actuator. And of course be careful not to break the plastic.

Tadrums 04-17-2018 06:37 AM

Driver’s door actuator

This may be late but... Recently changed actuator in my 08 Avant. I was able to do it w/o removing window or handle/lock barrel. Tho it requires the inner digital dexterity of a slight of hand artist...it’s doable;-)

Happy to offer details if anyyone is interested. Thx.
Tommy

QUOTE=andyb64;25072494]Hi, I have a 2009 A6 Avant and need to replace the door lock actuator. Can anyone confirm whether you need to remove the handle and lock barrel before you can get the lock actuator mechanism out ?
Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

akingzkid 04-17-2018 08:10 AM

Tommy and other's on this thread. I am interested in any and all held you can provide. I need to replace the lock actuator on my 06 A6 driver's door. The lock button on the door does nothing when I press it. I also cannot lock my car with the remote and have to do it with the actual key in the drivers door. When I turn it to the right it locks all the door and make the beep sound. I have been told that it is a beast to replace it on the driver's door.

Have seen several on ebay for $100ish (used). I don't think it is very smart to buy a used one (because it will probably die in a few year max but I really don't want to buy a new one for $350. Any advice on that?

cal3thousand 04-18-2018 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by akingzkid (Post 25139701)
Tommy and other's on this thread. I am interested in any and all held you can provide. I need to replace the lock actuator on my 06 A6 driver's door. The lock button on the door does nothing when I press it. I also cannot lock my car with the remote and have to do it with the actual key in the drivers door. When I turn it to the right it locks all the door and make the beep sound. I have been told that it is a beast to replace it on the driver's door.

Have seen several on ebay for $100ish (used). I don't think it is very smart to buy a used one (because it will probably die in a few year max but I really don't want to buy a new one for $350. Any advice on that?

I've replaced the passenger side actuator.... twice.

First time, I bought one from Aliexpress. Installation went fairly easily except for the little plastic piece that grabs onto the push rod. After some choice words and hand contortions, it went on. Put the door back together. But......

Problem was, I got a dud. It would lock but not send a locked signal to the control module, leaving the car disarmed. That one was for $90. Emailed the seller and was able to get them to refund my money without sending the unit back.

I figured that the dud must have been bad luck, so I took a stab at a $100 unit from eBay. That thing went in easily too and has been in operation for about 6 months.

You 'might' run into a dud issue, but I think it's fine to buy an aftermarket piece. Don't go used as they eventually go bad. Doors get slammed and electronics (especially located at the end of the moment arm) will eventually fail.

akingzkid 04-18-2018 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by cal3thousand (Post 25140216)
I've replaced the passenger side actuator.... twice.

First time, I bought one from Aliexpress. Installation went fairly easily except for the little plastic piece that grabs onto the push rod. After some choice words and hand contortions, it went on. Put the door back together. But......

Problem was, I got a dud. It would lock but not send a locked signal to the control module, leaving the car disarmed. That one was for $90. Emailed the seller and was able to get them to refund my money without sending the unit back.

I figured that the dud must have been bad luck, so I took a stab at a $100 unit from eBay. That thing went in easily too and has been in operation for about 6 months.

You 'might' run into a dud issue, but I think it's fine to buy an aftermarket piece. Don't go used as they eventually go bad. Doors get slammed and electronics (especially located at the end of the moment arm) will eventually fail.

Thanks for your reply. I would prefer to buy a new aftermarket part as opposed to a used (10+ year old) part. However, not sure how you were able to find a new aftermarket part for $100. All of the new aftermarket parts that I can find are expensive. Partsgeek.com ($265). Can't find it on Rockauto.com, Can't find it on europaparts.com, Genuineaudiparts.com ($290)(I do realize this is not aftermarket). Can't access ebay right now but from what I can remember it was $100 for a used one and I don't remember seeing any aftermarket ones. I will go look again.

Any advice on where I can get an aftermarket new one for $100? Thanks.

al329 04-20-2018 05:11 AM

Has anyone tried amazon?

Found some low cost ones there...cant speak to quality?

Tks

akingzkid 04-20-2018 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by al329 (Post 25141031)
Has anyone tried amazon?

Found some low cost ones there...cant speak to quality?

Tks

Just looked on Amazon. Only saw 2 of them and they are $390. Not looking to spend nearly that much.