A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 01:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

replacing start and stop buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing start and stop buttons?

How difficult is it to replace the start and stop buttons?

The "dark" has worn off of the center of the buttons, so I want to replace them. I'm sure the stealership wants an arm and a leg.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Luckily, <a href="http://genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214407&cha pter=&Sectionids=0,2648&groupid=2648&subgroupid=67 277&componentid=0&make=2&model=A6&year=2006&graphi cID=1352435&callout=1&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid =0">the part</a> isn't that expensive, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to replace. I imagine you'd have to pop off the big trim piece covering the center console.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts
Default STFAs for OneHotAvant's thread about replacing center console trim.

You'll have to remove the center console wood trim to access the start/stop button switch. He posted a detailed thread on how to remove with great pictures and write–up. I will be replacing my wood trim on the center console soon and will use his write–up together with my Bentley Repair manual. You might consider upgrading to the newer switch that uses a round start button found on the '09 A6. The switch appears to be the same outline as the older rectangular buttons in the trim, so it may fit, and I'm guessing that the Audi AG engineers didn't change the wire connector to minimize the cost.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the trim is a nightmare!!

I would bet that if you could drill into the old one and just pull it out, I would try this first.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've removed the button in my '08 A6 and it is very easy. Just remove the leather boot around the shifter with a plastic spatula. Then remove the gear indicator to the left (mine came out with the leather boot). From there you can stick your finger under the start button and push it upwards and out. No removal of the wood trim is required. Order the '09 face-lifted style while you are at it. The brushed aluminum start button should hold up better. That is the one I am ordering to replace the older all black style which cracked.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288243

He replaced his start/stop button with the newer style.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have a part number for the newer-style button? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LucFuture
I've removed the button in my '08 A6 and it is very easy. Just remove the leather boot around the shifter with a plastic spatula. Then remove the gear indicator to the left (mine came out with the leather boot). From there you can stick your finger under the start button and push it upwards and out. No removal of the wood trim is required. Order the '09 face-lifted style while you are at it. The brushed aluminum start button should hold up better. That is the one I am ordering to replace the older all black style which cracked.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288243

He replaced his start/stop button with the newer style.
Where did you get your button? and if you push it out what about wires and stuff.

and does the boot go back on like new? or will there be a gap now.

thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, I am getting the part from the dealer and installing it myself so I have no part number. There is no damage done in the install process as long as you don't pry at the boot with something that will scratch the aluminum surround.

I haven't been able to find the new style online but if anyone does find it please let me know so I can avoid buying it from the dealership.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is really cheap too. UK part price is £32, which is around $40.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikegilbert
Do you have a part number for the newer-style button? Thanks!
The newer button is no good unless you change your center console, as well...it is round.

Quick Reply: replacing start and stop buttons?