A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6 V10 reliability and driveability

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default S6 V10 reliability and driveability

Hi, I am a new forum member kicking around the idea of purchasing a used(CPO or otherwise) 2007-2010 S6. The engine and parts do sound pretty expensive to me. My quesiton is: How is the overall reliability? Have any of you had major transmission or engine failure? I understand that this is a high performance relatively limited production model, but what are the average maintenace costs? Brakes, suspensions, etc.

Next, do many of you use a S6 as your daily driver? Any day to day issues with comfort or too much power in bad conditions?

Ideally, this is a car I would like to keep for the long term.(6-8 years) I only drive around 6K miles per year. I am just a little anxious about being hit with multiple $5K repairs. Would I be better off going with an A6 3.0?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:33 PM
hsp
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Original owner of a 2007 S6. Use it as a daily driver in Colorado and don't have any issues with comfort/driveability. There is no such thing as too much power :-).

Overall reliability is good. I've not had any major issues.

However, general maintenance is expensive. For example, $700 to replace rear brake rotors and pads. $1600 for set of four summer tires. Additional $2000 for set of four snow tires. (definitely required in snowy climates). Scheduled maintenance in the $800 - $1200 range every 9-12 months.

Now that the car is out of warranty, crossing my fingers.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the second owner of a CPO'd 2007 S6. I purchased with 14k on the clock. It is my daily driver and I love it. I keep out of sport mode in traffic so that I do not snap my neck when accelerating but otherwise the car is a pleasure to drive. I agree with HSP about the tires and the extra set of wheels. With dedicated snow tires, this car is a beast in the white stuff. Oil changes are about $130.00. I too have replaced brakes and rotors but went with 3rd party parts - Adam's Famous Rotors (slotted only) and StopTech Street pads. I installed the brakes myself. Parts were $700.00.

The S6 is a direct injection mortar and carbon build-up on the valves can cause problems. I am currently dealing with this issue now and I am chagrined how my car's performance has been adversely affected. Audi is helping me solve the issue und warranty but it is a pain nonetheless. I had to replace my intake flap motor under warranty and the coil packs. Check and see if the cars that you are considering have had the coil packs replaced per the appropriate TSB.

I really enjoy my S6, present engine issues notwithstanding. I even looked on-line for a replacement and nothing in the market appealed to me. Buy carefully, do your ho,ework and enjoy the fruits of yout purchase.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you have money, buy S6. But if you dont want spend tooo much, buy A6 3.0
Performance is aprox. identical. 3.0 engine will be also powerfull at lower RPM. Good point - fuel economy, bad point - V10 have better sound
Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I purchased a pre-owned 2007 S6 and use it as my daily driver. Defintely not too much power as the transmission is programmed to run conservatively to maximize fuel efficiency in "D" mode. "Sport" mode is another story when you're in the mood for big torque through all the gears.
The engine does like to run hard and performs best when pushed but it's also comfortable as a daily driver.
I purchased an extended warranty and have only really spent money on oil changes and brakes (which you can find parts greatly discounted online).
I quickly forget the cost of ownership (gas, etc) everytime i drive it and that enjoyment is what matters most to me. Not to mention the "rarity" factor as you will not see many of them on the road.
Good luck-
Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2008 S6.
Not really my daily driver (NYC Subway takes care of that) but put on 25k (mostly highway) miles in the last 2 years.
No mechanical problems at all.
If your streets are smooth, it is a great car. On bad roads, you can't mistake the stiff suspension. On well maintained twisty roads it corners incredibly well.
As others have already written, put some snows on it in the winter and it will give you unbelievable confidence.
Expect to go through tires every ~16,000 miles.

Don't test drive one unless you really want one because the sound of the engine will get you hooked immediately - and that is the biggest problem with the car - exhaust isn't loud enough.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Speaking as a New S6 owner myself ( only driven the car 3k since I bought it a few months ago ) I love it..I bought it Audi certified pre-owned, its a 2007 with 60k on the clock, high miles I know but let me tell you I swear I'm driving a 2011 model...its clean quiet...runs absolutely perfect for a car 4 years old. The power is amazing and the cool factor can't be beat. People are in awe when they see that V10 emblem on the side fenders as you pull up next to them...
Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

PDXscreen -
We bought our 2008 S6 new and it's my wife's daily driver. We were afraid of the repair bills, but fell in love with the engine. We now have 54k on the car, have only bought tires and brakes for the beast. It is hands down my wife's favorite car. I love it as well - and have a hard time keeping that stupid needle on the left side of 100mph when I get to drive.

I just recently bought a car for myself that has 67hp (2000 Honda Insight), so I now have no trouble keeping the needle in the double digits.

We will likely buy another Audi at some point. She lusts for an R8. I want an S5. We'll see. We'll probably be driving this beauty for another 5 years.

BTW - looks like we wasted $5000 on an extended warranty. No regrets though...

Best,

- Jeff

P.S. I have a hard time comparing the power of the A6 to the S6. We drove both and the S6 is not the same car. That was before the dealer "forced" us to go out and re-test drive the car using the "S" mode on the transmission. We were ready to buy the car with just the "D" mode performance. My wife needed a cigarette after she drove the car one mile in "S" mode. It's hard to negotiate a lower price when your wife is drooling.

hehe...
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

You live once...Buy S6 and don't look back. CPO has 2 years extended warranty, so you are safe for 2 years. I drive 2007 A6, not that I regret getting it, but I wish I had little more money to spend on S6...
Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any given day, I see 10+ A6s.

I see another S6 about once a month, and I live in one of the most prominent parts of the city.

Almost every time I go on the highway, I end up getting a thumbs up or honk from someone who appreciates the car.

Oh yea, and it is a beast. I am glad I can fix my own speeding tickets.

Quick Reply: S6 V10 reliability and driveability