A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Seafoam. Not the usual question.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the seafoam will do a very nice job of cleaning out any deposits in the crank case if you add it to your oil for about 100 miles. We use this all the time on our older Audi's to keep the timing chain tensioners cleaned up the 1.8t, and the 2.8's which are known for sludge and other oil deposit issues. it also cleans up the insides of the valve covers nicely. I use it on every Audi I get in the vac lines, but to get carbon from the valves is tough since it will be baked on, you need to add 1 can to your Gas tank, and run 3/4 can thru your Vac lines to get best results. to do the vac lines get the car to normal temp, run 1/2 can thru the vac lines, then let it sit for 20-30 minutes with engine off then run another 1/4 to 1/2 can thru, now go drive the car till the smoke stops. I usually start driving slow until their isn't much smoke then I run it fairly hard till it stops completely. I also do this at night since most of the cars I do this with have about 100k miles on them and they usually smoke real bad!!!! but a car with less then 50k shouldn't smoke much.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
"The Audi Tech believes it is carbon build up on the intake valves. he reccomended to try seafoam first before he removed the intake manifold and manually cleaned my intake valves (to save $$). He actaully told me to add it to the oil (since I am do for an oil change soon)run the car for a week at higher rpms and then bring it in to change the oil. he said it was safe to put in the oil and would not damage the engine. I read on seafoams website that it can be used as an oil additive. His thinking is that some will run down the valve stem and got on the back of the valve. I am thinking the vaccum line might be a more effective method of actully getting the seafoam onto the valves.
"

That doesn't make sense at all. So he expects a 1 quart can of seafoam to retain some of its solvent ability / detergent quality after it is poured into a full engine block of oil? Then whatever amount of blowby gases that are recirculated through the pcv system to the upstream side of the intake valves, which let me add will be a mixture of dirty oil and now seafoam, are going to be effective at cleaning them? I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

Thats why i was thinking that using the PVC vacuum line, which the company also says is an effective way to add it to the engine, is a better way to go.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seckler17
Thats why i was thinking that using the PVC vacuum line, which the company also says is an effective way to add it to the engine, is a better way to go.
I ordered a feeder bottle from carfood.com, and will be adding the seafoam through the vacuum hose (2) disconnected from the EVAP canister purge regulator valve.
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EHLO
The company says that it's the same issue in the crankcase as it is on the intake valves; petroleum varnish.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/why-sea-...ent-works.html
I believe it does what says i use it all the time. My point was why would a tech expect seafoam poured into the crankcase to be an effective valve deposit remover. If I wanted to clean my valves I would run it through the vacuum hoses.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
I believe it does what says i use it all the time. My point was why would a tech expect seafoam poured into the crankcase to be an effective valve deposit remover. If I wanted to clean my valves I would run it through the vacuum hoses.
I agree, the technician misunderstands the way it would be applied to clean the back side of the valves, air flow disruptor valves and their surrounding ports.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree, the technician misunderstands the way it would be applied to clean the back side of the valves, air flow disruptor valves and their surrounding ports.
Yes I agree as well, I am going to do both. The car is a 2005 with 69,000 miles so it cant hurt to do the oil treatment as well as the vacuum line. I will post an update to the thread, hopefully it helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 129k, I don't even wanna know what my valves look like.
Gonna order a bottle and see if it helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

i have a 4.2 DHOC am i suffering from carbon build up??? lol
Old 01-28-2011, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcamaj
i have a 4.2 DHOC am i suffering from carbon build up??? lol
If it's a direct fuel injection engine, then most likely yes.
Google for `Audi FSI Engine Carbon Build-up Megathread', it's a topic (on a different forum) with links to dozens of examples.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it's a direct fuel injection engine, then most likely yes.
Google for `Audi FSI Engine Carbon Build-up Megathread', it's a topic (on a different forum) with links to dozens of examples.
its actually DOHC," Distributorless Naturally Aspirated Bosch Motronic Electronic FI MFI " i dont think its FSI, FSI started 06 and now...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seafoam. Not the usual question.