A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Seafoam. Not the usual question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lIRATIl
Has anyone tried using seafoam through the vacuum lines?
I just put seafoam through the vacuum line this weekend. It seems to have helped. The car runs smoother and does not idle a rough during cold starts. It still runs a little rough but there is a noticable improvement.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry for the ignorance on the vacuum lines but where do we feed the sea foam through? I want to try this job this weekend as I just got a CEL with misfire codes and some minor rough idle at times. I also believe that the Diesel Engine like sound I was experiening during very cold days has to be related to valve deposit, what do you think?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Sorry for the ignorance on the vacuum lines but where do we feed the sea foam through? I want to try this job this weekend as I just got a CEL with misfire codes and some minor rough idle at times. I also believe that the Diesel Engine like sound I was experiening during very cold days has to be related to valve deposit, what do you think?
It would help to have a signature stating what model and engine you have.
I had described where to add it if it's the V10.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EHLO
It would help to have a signature stating what model and engine you have.
I had described where to add it if it's the V10.
Sorry for not stating that, it is an '05 3.2.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Has your car had the ECU update?

I had the issues you had, but no real carbon... Audi had an ECU update that fixed it up, easy cold starts, and the Check Engine light (misfires) stopped.

Last edited by emkawarrior; 03-12-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by emkawarrior
Has your car had the ECU update?

I had the issues you had, but no real carbon... Audi had an ECU update that fixed it up, easy cold starts, and the Check Engine light (misfires) stopped.
Not sure if it has been updated, how do I find out?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
"The Audi Tech believes it is carbon build up on the intake valves. he reccomended to try seafoam first before he removed the intake manifold and manually cleaned my intake valves (to save $$). He actaully told me to add it to the oil (since I am do for an oil change soon)run the car for a week at higher rpms and then bring it in to change the oil. he said it was safe to put in the oil and would not damage the engine. I read on seafoams website that it can be used as an oil additive. His thinking is that some will run down the valve stem and got on the back of the valve. I am thinking the vaccum line might be a more effective method of actully getting the seafoam onto the valves.
"

That doesn't make sense at all. So he expects a 1 quart can of seafoam to retain some of its solvent ability / detergent quality after it is poured into a full engine block of oil? Then whatever amount of blowby gases that are recirculated through the pcv system to the upstream side of the intake valves, which let me add will be a mixture of dirty oil and now seafoam, are going to be effective at cleaning them? I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

Putting it in the oil doesn't work that way period. Putting it in the oil helps quiet and free stuck/sticky lifters, and clean sludge and carbon from the oil galleys and journals.

To clean the intake valves out, best advice I can offer is to pull the vacuum line off the brake booster, start the car, and stick the hose in the can and let it suck the seafoam out of the can, the car should stall, then let it sit for 10 min and dump the rest if any in the fuel tank. After 10 min restart and go drive it.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can some one please show me which is the vacuum line I need to run the sea foam through? I think I found it but I am not sure...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Locate brake booster. There you will find a line most likely on the left side of the booster that goes from the booster to the intake. Use that one..,,,
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NuclearA6
Locate brake booster. There you will find a line most likely on the left side of the booster that goes from the booster to the intake. Use that one..,,,
Sorry for forgetting to ask for the asnswer to be idoit proof. I don't know where the brake booster is. Can someone take a picture and point out the line. Sorry for beign so ignorant about this and thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Seafoam. Not the usual question.