A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Specific rpm range problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specific rpm range problem

I have a 2005 a6 3.2 fsi with a vibration/ 200 rpm bounce. It happens in park when I step on the gas and try and hold the rpm at 1400 rpm. It doesn't stay steady but bounces up and down either way in a 200 rpm range. Idle is smooth at 800 , vibration kicks in at 1200 and goes away at 1600 rpm.

Also when the engine is cold In the morning , there is a small hesitation when accelerating through the same rpm range. Goes away when engine is warm. But rpm bounce and vibration in park remains at all times. Not sure if the two symptoms are related.

I've replaced plugs, fuel filter, coils, air filter, cleaned the throttle body. Throttle adaptation. No codes . Please help with any suggestions.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Check the front snub engine mount, it may be worn out or damaged.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was thinking about that for the vibration but would it affect the rpm bounce in park and hesitation ?
Old 09-08-2014, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec6
I was thinking about that for the vibration but would it affect the rpm bounce in park and hesitation ?
Have you read through this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...issue-2754700/

If so, it appears that the issues you've identified seem to match and unfortunately the issue was resolved via a TC (torque convertor).
Old 09-08-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

I went down the same road and the problem was not corrected until I replaced the torque converter.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Have you read through this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...issue-2754700/

If so, it appears that the issues you've identified seem to match and unfortunately the issue was resolved via a TC (torque convertor).
I did see that thread, and it very well might be that. however there are a few differences that lead me away from the TC.

Most of the problem is in park when I slowly rev the engine to 1400 rpm , impossible to hold there ,bounce fluctuates 100 rpm . Anything north or south of there holds fine. Never had any problems coasting or hesitating at high speed.

There is a small hesitation in the morning when cold. It will mini stutter while accelerating at exactly 1400 rpm. After that it never happens again till the next morning. It's very minor and my wife doesn't even notice it.

Could it be camshaft adjuster valves are dirty? Camshaft sensors ? Carbon on valves? Fuel pressure sensor. ? Thanks for the input
Old 09-09-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had my torque converter replaced, and while it was a couple of years ago, I don't remember there being any issue while in park. My issue was noticable while going down a moderate hill in the morning when the engine was cold. When I would take my foot off the accelerator the rpms would fluctuate instead of maintan a constant rpm relative to my speed. I think it was within a range around 1800 rpm or so. The other thing about my issue was that I didn't have any other observable symptoms.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike, I had a very similar problem with surging on my '05 3.2 and spent WAY too much money trying to fix it over 18 months.

The Audi dealer and my local shop didn't believe it was a TC like this site suggested so I paid to replace a whole bunch of items (fuel pumps, filters, sensors, plugs, coils, etc) and paid to clean the carbon buildup but none of that helped.

It was finally fixed when a local VW dealer looked at it and suggested that the throttle body was bad, he had seen similar problems in VW cars due to bad throttle body.

I bought a used one for less than $100 and that completely resolved the problem. The VW technician thought it might be the electronic components of the TB since my original TB had been cleaned and adapted about 4 times but that never resolved the surging. Only replacing it with a used one solved the problem.

I took him a AmEx gift card as thanks for finally fixing the problem.

Hope this helps you too.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting wtmmm. I may try that. I bought this car last April and have been tuning her slow and steady doing all the work myself. One of the first problems I dealt with was with an epc and traction control light light coming on. Also had "esp fault" all at the same time when I went hard on the accelerator to pass. It happened around 4200 rpm . The car went into limp mode and I had to shut it off , turn it back on for everything to go back to normal. Weird because it never spit up a MIL.

After reading lots of threads I decided to clean the TB. That did it . No more fault when hard on the accelerator. The vibration and bounce at 1400rpm remained. So I did the rest of the stuff I mentioned with no luck. But I think I should backtrack to the TB.

Would love to see what it's doing on vagcom. I have an ebay knockoff with crappy software but it's impossible to navigate. That's what I get for being cheap I guess.

We'll get this solved . And without the stealer!!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck and report back with what you find.

Quick Reply: Specific rpm range problem