A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Surging when driving at a constant speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging when driving at a constant speed

My 2005 A6 C6 is Surging when I'm driving at a constant speed. Whether highway or around the city. I had a purge valve replaced that solved the cold start issue. But, it did nothing for the surging. Could it be a carbon deposit issue in the intake or throttle body? Other than this little issue I love this generation of A6.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just read the thread on this using the search. It was very helpful. I'm going to first clean the throttle body or replace it with the one that was suggested from Amazon. If that doesn't solve the issue. I will take the service bulletin to my local Audi dealer to see what they say.

Great forum, great discussion. Thanks to all that contributed.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has the same issue, very mildly. It's most pronounced the colder the engine is. As the car warms, it deminishes.
I just did a load of maintenance on the car, even changing the MAP sensor, thinking that would help.
Now, the car runs great, very responsive & powerful, but still surging slightly.
I do have a new throttle body that I'll put on & go through the adaptation procedure.
If that doesn't do it, I'll give in that it's probably the torque converter, & live with it. That's what several have found to be their cause. At 180k miles, I don't think I'll be changing a torque converter...

Last edited by LarryJa; 08-20-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default It's fixed

Thanks to my good friend at Euromin Audi Parts. I was able to purchase a used throttle body off an A6 3.2 that ran well (until it was written off). After changing it out. Poof! No more surging. I'm so glad that it wasn't the torque conerter. If any one needs used parts in the Cambridge, Ontario region, Imre is your guy.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kokes
Thanks to my good friend at Euromin Audi Parts. I was able to purchase a used throttle body off an A6 3.2 that ran well (until it was written off). After changing it out. Poof! No more surging. I'm so glad that it wasn't the torque conerter. If any one needs used parts in the Cambridge, Ontario region, Imre is your guy.
It looks like it was my throttle body too!
This morning, I replaced my throttle body with a chinese {via eBay}replacement. Surging & balky throttle is gone!
I checked the old throttle body. There seems to be some slack in the throttle, particularily noticeable in mid position.
I think that slack in the movement was providing enough mismatch, between the throttle actuator mechanism and the throttle position sensor, so as to confuse the ecu & cause the throttle "hunting" & "surging".
I'm glad it's gone!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you two were able to stop the surging.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does this surging symptom happen while applying the throttle, or when coasting? I have a surging when I am coasting (following someone and not applying throttle because they are driving slowly, or when coasting down a small grade).
Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

My surging was at cold start up & at steady state cruising. I also had a slight laziness in the throttle as the car fully heated up.
None when coasting.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is this kinda what your car was doing? This was with the cruse control set to about 45 going up a hill. I am hopeful it can be a throttle body and not a torque converter.

kLF0iyI.gifv

Originally Posted by Kokes
Old 10-13-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine was both a slower frequency & lower amplitude(swing).