A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Terrible Gas Mileage Audi S6

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by twopedalwarrior
Also I would suggest to take a look at your MMI settings for the dynamic driving features, that may change the performance
Never heard of this feature...what is it on the 5.2 S6? I'm aware you can put our vehicles in sport mode, via the tranny...
Old 11-05-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no dynamic mode on V10 S6. Your low mileage is the result of your heavy foot. That low rpm torque is addictive.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read earlier that you said that your check engine light came on, have you scanned for codes yet?
As for the acceleration issues I believe that once you replace the spark plugs you will see you that the car will start behaving better I would bite your time until you’ve done the work
Scanned for codes at my mechanic, turns out the gas station clerk had forgotten to properly lock in the gas cap.

Thanks again I will let you know what happens. Any idea how much $$ im looking at to change spark plugs and fuel filter; also, should i change my coil packs too or are they not related?

Also I would suggest to take a look at your MMI settings for the dynamic driving features, that may change the performance
Never heard of that; however, I do have a ECO button that I tried using but did not notice any difference in gas mileage or acceleration, but that could be due to the fact that I didnt use it for enough time.

Originally Posted by haloguy628
There is no dynamic mode on V10 S6. Your low mileage is the result of your heavy foot. That low rpm torque is addictive.
Yea, I wont deny it, I love flooring this car! I hope im not messing up the transmission, someone told me i should accelerate gradually to not mess up my engine or transmission, but i told him that im pretty sure the V10 can handle it.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I paid $127 incl shipping for 10 plugs - NGK PFR6WT. The fuel filter (Mann WK 720/4) was about $28 IIRC. Fuel filter is easy DIY, plugs require a little disassembly.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guys is there any way to upload a video in here? I wanted to show you a video of my startup issue that I was mentioning, it seems as if it will start on first gear, go up to about 2 RPM and when it shifts to second gear, the RPM just keeps increasing instead of going back down and comming back up (like all cars ive previously driven). Any ideas?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

https://youtu.be/1HYPu3zm3HQ

Here is the youtube link. Please watch the full video. Best representation is around 1:00.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by areg321
https://youtu.be/1HYPu3zm3HQ

Here is the youtube link. Please watch the full video. Best representation is around 1:00.
My recommendation would be to perform an adaption on the transmission: 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (01J/Multitronic) - Ross-Tech Wiki\

Here you go:

Prerequisites:

1. Ignition ON and Engine ON.
  2. No Fault Codes stored.
  3. Transmission Oil Temperature must be between 60 °C and 90 °C.
    1. If the procedure does not succeed in the first try, make sure the temperature is above 80 °C.
  4. All driving and braking has to be done in partial load, avoid full throttle/braking!
  5. Normally the adaptation needs to be carried out when:
    1. Transmission Control Module has been recoded
    2. Input Shaft has been replaced
    3. Hydraulic Unit has been replaced
    4. Transmission Control Module has been replaced
    5. Transmission has been replaced

[Select]
[02 - Transmission]
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel 00
[Read]
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Block 010 (in 1st Row)
Block 011 (in 2nd Row)
[Go!]
Check fields 2, specification is ADP OK.
  1. Move the selector lever in position D and drive with partial load 20 m / 70 ft forward, then brake to standstill.
  2. Hold the brake for 10 seconds.
  3. Move the selector lever in position R and drive with partial load 20 m / 70 ft reverse, then brake to standstill.
  4. Hold the brake for 10 seconds.
The procedure needs to be repeated at least 5 times and can be repeated up to 10 times until the measuring values show ADP OK.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
Old 11-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
My recommendation would be to perform an adaption on the transmission: 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (01J/Multitronic) - Ross-Tech Wiki\

Here you go:

Prerequisites:

1. Ignition ON and Engine ON.
  2. No Fault Codes stored.
  3. Transmission Oil Temperature must be between 60 °C and 90 °C.
    1. If the procedure does not succeed in the first try, make sure the temperature is above 80 °C.
  4. All driving and braking has to be done in partial load, avoid full throttle/braking!
  5. Normally the adaptation needs to be carried out when:
    1. Transmission Control Module has been recoded
    2. Input Shaft has been replaced
    3. Hydraulic Unit has been replaced
    4. Transmission Control Module has been replaced
    5. Transmission has been replaced

[Select]
[02 - Transmission]
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel 00
[Read]
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Block 010 (in 1st Row)
Block 011 (in 2nd Row)
[Go!]
Check fields 2, specification is ADP OK.
  1. Move the selector lever in position D and drive with partial load 20 m / 70 ft forward, then brake to standstill.
  2. Hold the brake for 10 seconds.
  3. Move the selector lever in position R and drive with partial load 20 m / 70 ft reverse, then brake to standstill.
  4. Hold the brake for 10 seconds.
The procedure needs to be repeated at least 5 times and can be repeated up to 10 times until the measuring values show ADP OK.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
What is this exactly? Also, does a burnt (cracked) tail light count as a fault code? It displays on my dash.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by areg321
What is this exactly? Also, does a burnt (cracked) tail light count as a fault code? It displays on my dash.
The codes you need to be concerned about are those associated with your transmission, therefore a burned bulb is not of consequence.

The transmission adaption essentially resets your transmission and allow it to map to your driving style. Since, this is a new to you car, I'd also recommend you change the transmission fluid and filter...use the SEARCH and you'll see plenty of threads on it.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

+1. Find a 1-2 mile road that has little or no traffic, and do this. I did it on my A8 with the same ZF trans and was very happy with the result. It lets the trans adapt itself to your driving style.

Quick Reply: Terrible Gas Mileage Audi S6