AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Thinking about the 4.2 sline, a few questions . . . (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/thinking-about-4-2-sline-few-questions-2602770/)

stanj 11-05-2005 02:17 PM

No, no

The C6 (2005+ A6) has the same DRL system as the B7, seen in my signature picture. No fog lights are involved. If you turn on DRL, the designated DRL bulb in the center-most light goes on. When you turn on "real" headlights, the DRL bulb goes off and the parking light bulb (tiny lightbulb in same "light") goes on so that it doesn't look dead.

On your B6 S4 cab you don't have bi-xenons; these are only in the B7 and C6 cars. You have a main Xenon light and halogen high beams in a separate light. Personally I prefer that, but that's just me. It's easier to "flash" with a halogen light, the Xenons take a while to power up properly. Plus I find that having a designated reflector / projector for each purpose is better than having one that's for both. Bi-Xenons just remove a filter, while a halogen high beam is much more focused / pointed. I know why they did what they did, doesn't mean that I am happy about it. Acura has a true bi-xenon setup (with specialized lights) that works better IMHO.

I have no inside knowledge, but I think it's safe to assume that the C6 won't see a biased split except maybe in an S6 / RS6 incarnation.

audirb 11-05-2005 02:25 PM

Thanks.

jal6231 11-05-2005 06:20 PM

Nice wheels on your S4.

drive4fun 11-05-2005 06:53 PM

Re: Both the air suspension and adaptive cruise work well

The adaptive cruise works well and can apply the brakes up to 25% of maximum power to slow the car. I use it all the time on the highway. You have to be careful when cars are darting in and out of your lane though.

There is a tremendous difference in ride among the lift, standard, automatic, and dynamic modes. For some reason, my car also seems a bit lighter on its feet than the standard A6 I test drove at the dealer. Maybe I'm imagining things. I have no way to compare the air suspension settings to the sport suspension, but personally, I wouldn't want anything stiffer than my dynamic mode.

If I had to chose between these 2 options, I would go with the air suspension. Hope this helps.

audirb 11-06-2005 05:16 AM

Thanks for the comments. Does the standard mode come close to the stock A6?

Does the automatic mode actually change its character while you're driving depending on the condition?

Do you have the 4.2? Roy

drive4fun 11-06-2005 04:19 PM

If the essense of your question is whether the air suspension and/or adaptive cruise are worth the money, I would say the air suspension is definitely worth the money. The adaptive cruise, in my mind, is more marginal but still useful.

I haven't spent a lot of time in a standard suspension A6, so it's difficult to compare. Based on vague recollection, I believe the air supension sways less than a regular A6 in anything other than lift mode, although standard is probably pretty close to a regular A6. I generally only drive in automatic and dynamic modes. As winter rolls around, I'll probably use lift & standard a lot in Manhattan as the roads here can get pretty chewed up.

Yes, automatic does seem to adjust settings depending on road surfaces. However, in my experience the difference is subtle.

I have a 4.2.

A4effort 11-06-2005 04:46 PM

I just got a Black/Amaretto with S-line 3.2 last week

audirb 11-06-2005 05:06 PM

Thank you.

audirb 11-06-2005 05:13 PM

Questions . . .

1. Was it special order, if so how much $ and did it add to the wait time?

2. Was the Brown Walnut available or did you have to go with the Gray Birch?

3. Is your headliner black or light gray?

4. How do you like the sports suspension?

5. I assume you got a 2006, correct?

Thanks. Roy

AlexTTQ 11-07-2005 08:34 AM

Black/ Amaretto was available with S-Line in early 06 models.

Not anymore.