A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Ticking noise from front of the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise from front of the car

I've been hearing a ticking noise (like click click) intermittently from the front (maybe driver side) of the car. Is this normal - can anyone confirm? Or should I take it to the stealership?!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Click click click

is what I hear when turning slowly with my windows down, I seem to remember someone here saying they had their dealer clean the debris tray (?) or something like that to clear the problem. It bothers me, but I always forget to mention it/ discuss it when I have the car in for service. I have the '05 4.2.

Oh, the clicking I hear is light, almost like tinking; if you hear a heavy click, only on one side, and it seems to correspond to the rotation of your tire (like one click every rotation) then you want to check your CV. Look to see if your boot has a hole, if so, you'll need that repaired ASAP.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks - it is a very light clicking/ticking noise that I hear with the window open. More prominent when the steering turns - it definitely doesn't follow a rhythm.

Originally Posted by Father_Flanagan
is what I hear when turning slowly with my windows down, I seem to remember someone here saying they had their dealer clean the debris tray (?) or something like that to clear the problem. It bothers me, but I always forget to mention it/ discuss it when I have the car in for service. I have the '05 4.2.

Oh, the clicking I hear is light, almost like tinking; if you hear a heavy click, only on one side, and it seems to correspond to the rotation of your tire (like one click every rotation) then you want to check your CV. Look to see if your boot has a hole, if so, you'll need that repaired ASAP.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

have the exact same noise on my 3.2-05..ticking when driving slowly and turning...
/H
Old 06-05-2009, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hrc4u
have the exact same noise on my 3.2-05..ticking when driving slowly and turning...
/H
The FSI engine makes a ticking noise due to the way it operates. If it is a quiet noise then no problems.

I have had issue where my 3.2 (MY05) makes a noise like a loud diesel for a minute or so after startup then goes away. This was previously resolved by replacing the oil retention valve.

Regards,

Eddie.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EddieP
The FSI engine makes a ticking noise due to the way it operates. If it is a quiet noise then no problems.

I have had issue where my 3.2 (MY05) makes a noise like a loud diesel for a minute or so after startup then goes away. This was previously resolved by replacing the oil retention valve.

Regards,

Eddie.
yes i know fsi noise..this isn't it though...it's coming from from drivetrain/wheels..

/H
Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

same here.. took it to the dealer today (for this and other issues) - got the could not duplicate response. Interestingly, I don't remember hearing the noise since I picked it up. Maybe they sprayed some WD-40 somewhere.

yes i know fsi noise..this isn't it though...it's coming from from drivetrain/wheels..

/H
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dealer is replacing wheel bearings now to fix this issue - as per the SA, the technician has fixed the problem in the past by replacing the bearings.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
Dealer is replacing wheel bearings now to fix this issue - as per the SA, the technician has fixed the problem in the past by replacing the bearings.
wheel bearings?...hmm
don't sound to me like bearing issue...think it's something else though..
post the results of teh bearing change!...in case it solved the ticking.. =O)
/H
Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

picked up the car from the dealer this evening. Haven't heard the noise from the car since I picked it up. I think they replaced the front (both sides) bearings. Let me know if you need any details from my repair order.

wheel bearings?...hmm
don't sound to me like bearing issue...think it's something else though..
post the results of teh bearing change!...in case it solved the ticking.. =O)
/H

Quick Reply: Ticking noise from front of the car