A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Tips for replacing headlight Xenon bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for replacing headlight Xenon bulbs

I had a terrible morning replacing the passenger side Xenon bulb in my 2006 A6. Since my pain was so great, hope I can help the next person out, so some tips:

- loosen and remove the snorkel at the throttle body as well as on the air filter - its near impossible to do this swap otherwise and you might break something.

Proper way to remove ballast:
- using a black marker, mark the TOP of the ballast (or take a photo!). [Ask me how I know this]
- remove the large wire clip that holds the wire to the ballast body (clip hooks at bottom of light socket, fastens to top of ballast, wire goes inside loop made for it)
- remove the wiring plug from the side (hard to get at but not impossible)
- twist balast counter clockwise (when looking at it), then carefully remove it
- two spring wire clips hold the lamp in, use light (and possibly mirror) to see them, then unhook them
- pull bulb out directly by wiggling

My bulb was black in Xenon bulb center.

[In my case, on twisting, the ballast AND bulb came out, making me think it went in that way.]

Note that the ballast has a security device installed in it. The plug has a little plastic tang that prevents the wiring connector from getting inserted if the bulb has not been installed (and perhaps the whole assembly installed!. In the area where the bulb will mate to the ballast, there is a yellowish "ring" under the metal, with two indents, and those indents MUST be aligned with the indents in the metal - where the bulb posts will slide in [ask me how I know this!]. If not properly aligned, use a toothpick or something to insure that ring is properly aligned.

Install new bulb:

- the bulb only goes in one way, with the slot/hole up top - rotate until it seats, then set the two retaining clips to hold it in.
- install the ballast by starting with it rotated slightly counter clockwise, properly oriented (top marking up top). You can see the square slot where the tang get inserted nearest you
- rotate the ballast clockwise. If you (unlike me!) have properly replace the ballast with the top where it should be, it will slip on easily. If incorrectly oriented it will not rotate [ask me how I know this].
- finally, insert the plug into the socket. Its a bit tricky but be patient (and don't scream obscenities like I did!)

Reinstall the cover:
- oops - my tangs broke off! I didn't even bang or stress them. Yikes - now what to do? [Not going to spend $250 for a new cover!]
- I got some stiff copper wire (like one strand of 14 gauge house wiring), cut two 10 inch pieces, but each piece in a lower slot and wrapped one end, installed the cover, then bent the wire over the cover and pushed it into a hole I found near the top of the headlight housing. Now that cover is water tight and ain't moving!

I sure hope this helps some other poor sole. I found NOTHING on this process anywhere else!
Old 09-15-2017, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thx! VG write up!
I just changed my passenger side bulb a week ago. My cover broke too! Fortunately, only one of the bottom clips. So, it's still holding & sealing itself. My biggest nuisance was getting tbe starter/ballast back on. I never did get the four clips fully engaged, but they are holding ok.
But, your write up will, hopefully, help many.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I did my driver side years ago (the cover from factory was not fully closed, condensation had built up and destroyed the bulb), I went through a very painful experience. I think I might have installed the bulb upside down but even though I feel sorry for the folk in front of me, I do not dare redo the installation.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks, this was enough to slow me from diving head-first into mine this morning. Any links to diagrams/photos showing all the clips, screws, etc that need to be removed to get access to do the passenger side bulb?
Old 09-16-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are a lot of you tube videos. This one did me fine.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

man, S6 engine bay has nowhere near that much room haven't found any S6 videos yet, still hunting...